• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Encryption compatible with DES-XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0wsw

Feed Provider
Is anyone able to tell me if the Kenwood P25 radios are compatible with DES-XL encryption? Looking specifically at the VP-5000/6000 series and the TK-5000 series. A call to Kenwood said "Maybe, maybe not as I am not familiar with the XL". All of the product info I can find mentions the DES or OFB portion, but not the XL specifically.

Currently using APX-6000 and XTL-5000 but these recently became available as well.

Thanks.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The short answer is it will work with the APX and XTL in DES mode.

1 DES-OFB is the standard, DES-XL was M's way to enhance the ANALOG use of it. Digital is just DES.
2 if your using it in the ham bands, be cautious!
3 if you are using it on part 95 and not ham band, have at it.

Direct from JVC-Kenwood LMR, as I am typing this. (I have good sources)

Evans

kb0wsw

Feed Provider
No, this is for commercial use.

We already use it in the APX and XTL radios, just no one was able to tell me if the Kenwood/Johnsons would do it.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I am told it will work with the APX./XTL's.
Dump a code in it and try it, do you have the 5000 and KPG-D1 yet?

*NOTE: I have tested my UHF 5300K6 with an XTS3000 and and APX6000 simplex with
DES (nothing fancy) and works like a charm.

MY DES TEST CODE:
NAME: P25 DES Alpha
KEYID: 13
KEY DATA: 0110203140516170

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
DES-XL is a Motorola variant of the US Gov't DES algorithm.

DVP and DES are self-synchronizing modes of operation, coverage range is slightly degraded due to Rayleigh fading on radio channel.

DVP-XL, DVI-XL, DES-XL use a sync header and periodic sync updates. For operation on fading radio channels, this provides encryption coverage range similar to analog voice coverage.

2-Way Encryption Primer

sfd119

Yes, DES will work. County SO uses Motorolas with DES-XL/OFB and our Kenwoods with the DES works fine with it and the KVL.

Status
Not open for further replies.