RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 10:14 PM

Default NX-5200 Programming

Our department has received 6 NX-5200 radios on a grant, traditionally we have utilized Motorola's so I'm not too familiar with these radios. They continuously break squelch and all throughout the night our firefighters are woken up by the station identifier beeping away in Morse code. None of the Motorola MagOnes or HTs do this, just the kenwoods.

We've sent them to the local dealer to get it fixed several times to no avail (he adamantly argues these *VHF's* are actually 5300's, even after looking at the serial plate, then he wanted the FD to sign a waiver to go "fix" something in the repeater so it wouldn't transmit the identifier... so that should hint what we're dealing with).

So it looks like it's up to me to program the nuisance station identifier out, id at all possible. Anybody have any success with this?

Also, I'll be starting from scratch, i.e. buying software, prog cable, etc.

Which programming software version would be required (I believe radios are NX-5200 K2 USA version) and what source/site do you recommend to get it from? Same for prog cable?

Is there a dealer key required? If so how would I get access to one or is there a way around it?

FYI we transmit narrowband 158.910 with a 136.5 tone and receive on 154.845. I believe the issue lies within the RX being CSQ on the Kenwoods meanwhile I believe the motorolas are CTCSS 136.5 tone applied to RX as well. Clear as mud?
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would program a receive tone, and that should fix the problem. Also, make sure the repeater doesn’t transmit the ID over the PL tone, otherwise a RX tone will not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ø=a bad day for scanner enthusiasts, and also a bad day for public safety...
Old 06-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will001 View Post
I would program a receive tone, and that should fix the problem. Also, make sure the repeater doesn’t transmit the ID over the PL tone, otherwise a RX tone will not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds good, but also how would I get the programming software and license/key etc to reprogram these?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 6:30 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You go to the dealer pay $155 for the software key plus get the 2nd key then buy you a programming cable and you will be ready to go.
Old 06-13-2018, 5:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Also, check with your dealer to see if there's government pricing! Usuaully can get 25-35% off and tax free if you're affiliated with local government.
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2018, 7:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD84XJ View Post
Our department has received 6 NX-5200 radios on a grant, traditionally we have utilized Motorola's so I'm not too familiar with these radios. They continuously break squelch and all throughout the night our firefighters are woken up by the station identifier beeping away in Morse code. None of the Motorola MagOnes or HTs do this, just the kenwoods.

We've sent them to the local dealer to get it fixed several times to no avail (he adamantly argues these *VHF's* are actually 5300's, even after looking at the serial plate, then he wanted the FD to sign a waiver to go "fix" something in the repeater so it wouldn't transmit the identifier... so that should hint what we're dealing with).

So it looks like it's up to me to program the nuisance station identifier out, id at all possible. Anybody have any success with this?

Also, I'll be starting from scratch, i.e. buying software, prog cable, etc.

Which programming software version would be required (I believe radios are NX-5200 K2 USA version) and what source/site do you recommend to get it from? Same for prog cable?

Is there a dealer key required? If so how would I get access to one or is there a way around it?

FYI we transmit narrowband 158.910 with a 136.5 tone and receive on 154.845. I believe the issue lies within the RX being CSQ on the Kenwoods meanwhile I believe the motorolas are CTCSS 136.5 tone applied to RX as well. Clear as mud?
Is the dealer you're going to the dealer who sold them?

If the Kenwoods are programmed CSQ, then yes, you'll hear everything on the frequency, including the CW ID, nearby gas pumps, your neighbor's LED lighting, etc. An RX tone would save your sanity.

1.) If this dealer isn't helping, find another one. Even one a few hours away. You'll need to buy KPG-D1NK from this dealer along with the KPG-36XM cable, so find a dealer you like.

2.) "MagOne" is a joke of a radio. Just saying.

3.) Program the Kenwood with the correct RX tone.

4.) It sounds like the repeater already does a "quiet" CW ID since the other radios on your system don't hear it. If this wasn't the case, you'd need the programming software and cable for the repeater, not to mention site access which you most likely would not get. But that's irrelevant as it's already programmed that way.

Get in touch with:
THE CAMBRIDGE GROUP
6901 AVE K, SUITE #106 PLANO TX 75074 USA 972-481-7877

They are your regional Kenwood sales rep. Dealers don't order directly from Kenwood, they go through a rep (source: am a Kenwood dealer). Contact them, tell them your story, and ask for a recommendation as to a good nearby dealer.
Old 06-13-2018, 8:28 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The dealer thinks a NX5200 VHF said they were NX5300's if that is so you can not program the radios out of band. Sounds like you need a new dealer. Does this dealer have a radio shop or is he selling radios out of the trunk of his car? I have both the NX5200 and the NX5300 love the KNB-L3M Li-ion 3400mAh (High Capacity) batteries.
Old 06-13-2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddrousa View Post
The dealer thinks a NX5200 VHF said they were NX5300's if that is so you can not program the radios out of band. Sounds like you need a new dealer. Does this dealer have a radio shop or is he selling radios out of the trunk of his car? I have both the NX5200 and the NX5300 love the KNB-L3M Li-ion 3400mAh (High Capacity) batteries.
They're pretty awesome, best replacements we could get a hold of since we found out most of our portables weren't IP67 during Harvey...plus they are finally PAID for since we were just reimbursed.

And the dealer does have a legitimate radio shop, the tech is even a volunteer firefighter in the same county as us...so you would think they would have a clue...
Old 06-13-2018, 9:01 PM

Thanks for the detailed info, I'll be calling them in the morning for sure. It'd be worth the day trip just to get this done and over with. I believe we got them from a dealer in the DFW area so possibly someone very close to the sales reps.

And yes, the MagOne's suck...tremendously. Thankfully they're just refurbs we didn't put much money into. They're used predominately as pagers, often as projectiles against windshields of distracted drivers, sometimes as door chocks, and on occasion for a probie to look cool with it strapped to their hip.
Old 06-13-2018, 9:08 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The nx5000 are Kenwood HI-END kinda strange I use my NX5200 as a backup to my EF JOHNSON 800 Trunking Radio it has seen a lot of fire and water in my radio pocket on my firecoat

Tags
5200, fire, kenwood, programming, vhf