• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Modified DTMF Tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come across these tones before and someone had told me they were from a Kenwood base station radio that was hard wired to a repeater which is what the tone was for. But, I'm wondering what exactly the function of the tone is and why it only works certain base station consoles?

https://clyp.it/bworzxii

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Fleetsync II aka 2400 baud fleetsync?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Then that would be a voting receiver tone, not sure the model, I would have to find out what agency that is. I know in NC there are some voting receiver sites still in use, to new not that noticable but there is a pilot tone when they go in on various sites the sometimes can be heard. So yeah, may not be fleetsync, but tone remote tones for voting recievers.

Then that would be a voting receiver tone, not sure the model, I would have to find out what agency that is. I know in NC there are some voting receiver sites still in use, to new not that noticable but there is a pilot tone when they go in on various sites the sometimes can be heard. So yeah, may not be fleetsync, but tone remote tones for voting recievers.

So that's what I'm trying to figure out, what the remote tone and voting receiver stuff does and how it works.

I see you are in Salinas. What agency are you listening to? I might be able to assist...

I was actually in San Benito County when I heard it. I've heard it both on Hollister Police and Hollister Fire. I know the county has a contract with a Kenwood dealership, so all their radios and repeaters are Kenwood.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yep, San Benito County/Hollister are all Kenwood.
They are dispatched out of NETCOM in Santa Cruz via remote.
NETCOM got new consoles a while back, and likely the interfaces are less than perfect.

You might be hearing the control tones sent over the wireline link between NETCOM and the repeaters.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Sounds to me like the CPI multi channel remote products. They use a proprietary dual tone signalling system to control the radio. In as such there is no hold tone as you would have in a regular tone remote to keep the radio in transmit. Instead there is tone burst to assert PTT to the radio and another one to drop it at the end of transmission. That is what you are hearing at the very end.

Can't say it is truly a CPI setup, but sure sounds like it. They are fine for a desktop remote but I'm a little skeptical on using it for a dispatch situation as they are not that robust for fast paced traffic.

Last edited:
Yep, San Benito County/Hollister are all Kenwood.
They are dispatched out of NETCOM in Santa Cruz via remote.
NETCOM got new consoles a while back, and likely the interfaces are less than perfect.

You might be hearing the control tones sent over the wireline link between NETCOM and the repeaters.

Speaking of Santa Cruz, do you happen to know what kind of radios Santa Cruz County Sheriff are using? I was listening the other day and they all have MDC-1200 ID on their mobiles and handhelds.

flux4201

Premium Subscriber

SCPD

QRT
Speaking of Santa Cruz, do you happen to know what kind of radios Santa Cruz County Sheriff are using? I was listening the other day and they all have MDC-1200 ID on their mobiles and handhelds.

Since the area uses kenwoods, do they mute the mdc on the motorolas? I've noticed areas who use kenwood tend to leave mdc unmuted on any muting capable radio.

The tone(s) your hearing at the end of the transmissions is part of the control tones from the special CPI remotes that control many functions of their NX-700 base radios they use at the fire stations in hollister, hollister pd should have them and sheriffs too.

The remotes:
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=454897

Ah, I see, so when they want to key up the repeater, they just pick up the phone and talk into it?

flux4201

Premium Subscriber
Ah, I see, so when they want to key up the repeater, they just pick up the phone and talk into it?

The radio remote keys up a base station radio which is just a mobile radio with an interface which allows them to talk on the repeater. The remotes allow them to change channels on the radio to select different repeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.