RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 6:27 AM

Default Upgrading from 2180

I currently have a 2180 and 7180 but am looking at upgrading. What would be a comparable radio to upgrade to? Something P25. I have seen the 5200 series but it seems larger then the 2180 and would prefer to not go larger.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2018, 7:35 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll try to post pics of my NX-5400 and TK-3180 side by side later this morning. I don't really notice the size difference and neither do my firefighters. The UI and feature set of the NX series is light years ahead of the x180s, but the programming software and process is completely different as well.
Old 09-13-2018, 7:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here's a pic of the two side-by-side. As I said, I don't really consider the NX to be substantially larger than the TK.

I didn't take photos in all three dimensions, but I have the belt clip on the back of both radios and they are equal in depth. The actual body of the radio is maybe 6-7 millimeters bigger but the NX belt clip is flatter and makes the radio pretty much the same size.

Width and height wise you can see from the photo, if there are any differences, it's in the millimeters - IMO not enough to worry about.

The NX does feel heavier by a few grams to me, but again, nowhere near enough to be a concern.

Old 09-13-2018, 7:42 PM

How do you like that radio compared to the 3180? Maybe its not an easy way to compare but do you feel that the NX radio receives better compared to the 3180?

I should have been more clear when I was referring to the the 5200 series. I meant the TK 5210.
Old 09-13-2018, 8:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The NX radios (both mobile and portable) are very close in size to the TK-180s. In fact, the mobile chassis is nearly identical.

Contrast that to the 10 series (5210/5710), which are bigger and bulkier in every way. That's not a bad thing, I have them and they have their place--but they aren't small.

My only complaint with the NX radios is they *seem* to be quieter than the 180s they replaced. That's just my impression.
Old 09-13-2018, 8:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's almost an apples and oranges comparison in terms of audio and signal for me, because the NX is strictly P25 (in my application) and the TK is strictly analog. I wouldn't consider it fair to say one is better than the other, except that the NX is newer and has better tech in it (like noise canceling). I have never had to turn the NX up to full volume yet, I think it would peel paint and break windows. The audio is crisp and clear, but I don't know how much of that is P25 vs analog, as opposed to old vs new.
Old 09-13-2018, 8:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Mine is analog->analog.

Local PD that's debating switching from XTS 2500 to the NX5300 has similar complaint. All of the doo-dads are generally digital-only in the 5300. Meaning, while it's a fantastic radio, it's not my first choice in an analog-only environment.

The noise cancelling and auto gain controls also are digital only.
Old 09-13-2018, 8:53 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

But with the large battery it is a warhorse and runs a very long time.
When you power it up you can see the remaining battery charge.
While powered on you can see the remaining battery charge.
Just in the Fire Service knowing the exact remaining battery charge is very important.