• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-730 VHF info

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcu02mpa

Hello all....I have purchased a remote mount, mid-power TK-730 VHF with the limited "3" head (32-CH). I have a few questions.....I am very familiar with Motorola products and programming them, but Kenwood is a new area for me.

I know this radio is rated for 150-174, but can these do 2m HAM and if so does the software need modding or will it go right in??

I am doing the 99-ch chip upgrade, but if I put the advanced head on it, what else do i need to do to the radio to get the full 160 channels?? setting in software???

Thanks for advice,

Mike

Yes, the TK-730 will do 2M HAM. There is no modding, just program it right in.

The 99-ch upgrade for the basic head should upgrade to 160-ch automatically when you place the advanced head on it. I'm not sure, but I think it is just a software adjustment. It's been a while since I have programmed one of those. Under model, you should be able to select the settings from the band to basic/advance head and so-on.

wcu02mpa

Unable to read radio

OK kenwood people, I need some assistance please. I have the software KPG7D, a P1 computer and an aftermarket cable (reputable seller) and a brand new TK-730g (might the "g" model have something to do with it???). I have the com port selected, radio in programming mode and when I select read radio from the screen, the radio beeps, displays ER and computer shows....Error, check connection.

OK......I am editing this post. I am going through my software list and the G models have different software. Most of the G models use various versions of the KP56D (looks like about 8-10 versions). I think my question is now.....what version of software do I need???

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Last edited:

Resdon111

KPG7D is the correct software, I have the same radio, and the same problem. What I "THINK" I did to get past it was to let it go into the error, cleared the error (pushed the button to put it back into PROG), and THEN tried to read the radio again. No guarantees, just monkey with it for a really long time. You may also need to make sure you have the right model selected.

Radio has to be put into "programming" mode by doing the following:
1) Hold down the KEY1 key and power on the radio until "PG" (basic head) or "PROGRAM" (full-featured head) appears on the display.
2) Release the KEY1 key & you are ready to read or write to your radio.

wcu02mpa

still stumped

OK.....radio is the basic 32-ch KCH-3 head and has no buttons on the lower right so I put it into program mode by pushing the OPT button. Radio display then shows PG.

The only way I know to clear the ER error message is to turn radio off and then back on.

Do I need to have the model selected prior to reading the radio or can I just read it?

Mike

code3cowboy

Put your radio into program mode, read it, do what you want with it. When you change the model you will loose all information and have to re write your dat file.

wcu02mpa

Missing info

Code3....thanks for info, but here is problem......the radio will not read. What I am I doing wrong and why wont this thing read??

I select read radio from screen and I get the error message.

Mike

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Are you running the software from real DOS, or a DOS window? I run 730 software with no issues on my fairly new XP machine from a DOS partition. Old Kenwood software is like old Motorola software...it's picky about where and how it's run.

As for the band split, I have two that go down to 144.xxx just fine with no mods. On one there is a little bit of an obnoxious PL hum below 146 MHz, but RF-wise they work just fine. I have read that some don't like going down that far and the VCO won't lock.

Last edited:

wcu02mpa

Running true DOS

Computer is an older Pentium-1 166MHz. I run the software in true DOS......as computer runs windows-98. I reboot to run in pure DOS.

FLATGUNPHIL

First, make sure you have a good connection with your cables (and make sure you have a good working cable)-use the thumbscrews. Are you plugging into the serial port or parallel port? You may need a DB9 to DB25 adaptor. This is dependant on the type of end on the KPG4 cable you have.

Then, make sure the COM port is correct.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Are you running the software from real DOS, or a DOS window? I run 730 software with no issues on my fairly new XP machine from a DOS partition. Old Kenwood software is like old Motorola software...it's picky about where and how it's run.

As for the band split, I have two that go down to 144.xxx just fine with no mods. On one there is a little bit of an obnoxious PL hum below 146 MHz, but RF-wise they work just fine. I have read that some don't like going down that far and the VCO won't lock.

I have a TK-830 (same radio, UHF version), and had the same problem. I use a Pentium II 233mhz laptop running Windows 98, and was running my software in a DOS window. My Kenwood software for my TK-790 and TK-840 ran fine in a window...my 830 wouldn't. Did exactly what yours is doing. For some reason, THAT software must be run from DOS. On my 98 machine, I just click shut down, then "Restart in DOS Mode". Thing runs, reads, and writes like a Swiss watch now. KPG-7D is a VERY tempermental program.

David

dapaq2

Posted in the wrong location. Darn this new Vbulletin is confusing, too many features making for extra 'clutter'.

Last edited:

code3cowboy

If you continue to have read issues, do a firmware read on your radio. That alone clears up most of the read issues you will come across.

Duster is dead on, some radios are just finicky. Each 30 series has a mind of its own, it may just want to be run in DOS.

wcu02mpa

Firmware read??

Code3,

Advise further on how to do a firmware read. I am thinking of other issues. One thing I have not thought of. The radio was new (old stock) but it did not have a control head attached. I attached a basic control head to it, so I am really unsure of the true firmware of this radio.

Mike

code3cowboy

Code3,

Advise further on how to do a firmware read. I am thinking of other issues. One thing I have not thought of. The radio was new (old stock) but it did not have a control head attached. I attached a basic control head to it, so I am really unsure of the true firmware of this radio.

Mike

The firmware has nothing to do with the type or separation of the control head.

Using the firmware program, you click on read firmware.

wcu02mpa

Problem found but not resolved

Thanks to Doug I have some insight. Apparently the radio was firmwared for a KCH-4 control head, in 32-CH configuration and the control head, NOT part of the original unit is a KCH-3 head. I got the radio brand new minus the contro head and added on a new basic head from a surplus parts box. The software sees a mismatch of radio and control head and it wont let me go any farther. I am getting a KCH-4 head and will report back.

Mike

wcu02mpa

Success!!!!!!!.....almost

OK....much thanks again to Doug. I installed the new KCH-5 chips, wrote to the radio and .........OH YEAH it works.......wrote to the radio and read the radio. All is good.....except I wanted to use it for the HAM band, but when I selected the 136-156 and put in a HAM repeater set, the radio is flashing the number 1 (channel 1) at me and a steady tone is emitted. I am thinking the VCO may be out of lock. The question now is two fold.....This is a G model so how do I get the narrowband channels and how do I get it to work properly with HAM freq's????

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.