• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-805D Front Panel Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQOC472

I have a Kenwood TK-805D and ive heard it can be programed via the "front panel" When i purchased the radio it was already programed to my frequencies. Now some of my frequencies have changed and i need to reprogram the radio. Does anyone have the "front panel" programing instructions? i have 9 channels programed in currently. channels 1-3 are on transmit and recieve, and 4-9 are recieve only. i need to add a few frequencies, and delete one of my frequencies, as well as change one of my frequencies from a Simplex frequency of 453.9750 to a Repeater input transmit of 458.9750 and output recieve of 453.9750 with a 114.8PL tone. Thanks for the help.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Go to www.mods.dk or use the link below for instructions

Login failure.

Beginning with SN 41200000 severaI new programming features were included in these models. These new features include a programmable Monitor Switch function, OFF-HOOK Scanning. OFF-HOOK decode, Transmit Revert Channel (for off-hook scanning), and an additional Scan Resume Delay (for the transmit revert channel). This Service Bulletin is revised to include the programming procedure for these new features in the self-programming mode.

Entering the self programming mode is accomplished by turning on the power switch while pressing a combination of buttons which act as an interlock. Jumper CN-8 located on the main board behind the display is in the SET position when the radio is shipped from the factory. This enables self programming. If CN-8 is moved to the USE position, which is recommended prior to delivering the radio to the customer, the self programming mode cannot be entered. ( The radio may be operated with the jumper in the set mode, but after exiting programming mode it will revert back to displaying channel numbers, not frequencies.)

Prior to initial programming, you may want to perform a Memory CIear. With CN8 in the set mode: SIMULTANEOUSLY press and hold the AUX. and SCAN and D/A while turning the power switch ON". This will remove any frequencies which were factory installed for testing purposes. The radio automatically enters the Option setting mode during memory clear.

To enter the Option Setting Mode without clearing memory, SIMULTANEOUSLY press and hold AUX and SCAN buttons while turning power ON (CN-8 on the main board must be in the set position).

OPTION SETTING MODE

(Pressing PTT between all functions stores the data and changes to next function)

Function Display Rotate channel selector to select Press
1 Band range 150.000~ 100Mhz SECTION (150-450) PTT
2 Time out timer t OFF Off-30-60-90-120-180 Sec (default=off) PTT
3 Busy ch lockout b On Off/on (default = on) no TX when channel is busy PTT
4 DEL/ADD condition dA On On=user select, off=fixed see RX ch & DEL/ADD PTT
5 Mic hook operation' H On On=scan on hook, PTT off hook, mon off hook,
Off=no scan, ptt on or off hook, no off hook monitor PTT
6 Priority channel P FI FI=FIXED US=user selectable (default=fixed) PTT
Additional features from sn 41200000
7 Monitor switch En On On=press to disable decode, hold to disable Sq.
Off=press to disable Squelch (default =on) PTT
8 Off hook monitor dE Off On= no off hook monitor, off=monitor off hook PTT
9 Off hook scan sc Off On= off hook scan, off=scan on hook only PTT
10 END END (turn off power)

RECOMMENDATIONS for NEW FEATURE SELECTIONS.

* Off Hook Monitor (dE OFF) is only enabled when On-Hook Scan is selected (SC=OFF)

* The "Last Called" option in the revert channel selection is supported in units bearing SN of 50700000 and higher only. Prior to this S/N, the "Last CalIed revert feature operated according to specifications outlined for certain export models only.

* The Revert channel during On-Hook scanning is the Priority channel only. The revert channel and Resume B selection is skipped during self programming when On Hook scanning is selected.

In the user mode, the display skips unprogrammed channels. During programming mode any mistakes in programming can be reprogrammed over but channels cannot be deleted once entered unless memory is cleared, and all desired information reprogrammed. When all desired tone and frequency entries are completed, continue pressing PTT (stepping across unprogrammed channels) until END is displayed. If any undesired channels were displayed prior to END, the memory must be cleared and reprogrammed. (memories may be cleared individually when using the KPG6D programming software by hitting all spaces.

FREQUENCY PROGRAMMING MODE

TK-705D AND TK-805D FREQUENCY, AUXILIARY & SCAN Programming
To enter the frequency programming mode, SIMULTANEOUSLY press and hold the "AUX and "D/A buttons while turning power "'ON" (CN-8 on the main board must be in the SET position)

CH1 - RX FREQ

Set ch1 RX freq by turning channel selector, hold AUX key when turning to change 1mhz

Press SCAN to change channel step from 10 and 12.5kc UHF or 5 and 6.25kc VHF

Press D/A key to enable delete/add scan function for this channel

Press REC to enable AUX switch function on this channel (selected later) PTT

RX TONE TYPE

Use ch selector to set RX tone type, QT (tone) or DQT (digital) DQT only on D model PTT

RX TONE FREQ

Display reads St for tone or S dt for digital

Set receive tone or digital with ch selector=.1hz, Ch sel+AUX for 1??????s digit, REC for 10??????s digit on tone. For digital, ch selector = 1??????s, AUX +ch sel = 10??????s, REC+ch sel = 100??????s, SCAN=normal/ inverse (note that non-standard tones can be selected for both tone or digital) PTT

TX FREQUENCY

Note: when TX settings are being programmed the TX symbol (--^) will be displayed

Use ch selector to set TX freq (or press PTT to set no tx (RX only channel), Ch sel+AUX=1mhz

Use SCAN button to set step size (see above, same as RX) PTT

TX TONE TYPE

Set TX tone type (see above)

TX TONE FREQ

Set tone freq (see above) PTT

-----> Repeat the above for CH2 to CH16 (bypass any channel by pressing PTT on blank "---.---"?????? channel.)

AFTER CHANNEL 16, PROGRAMMING ENTERS OPTION SELECT MENU (use Channel Sel to select option) AUX Set AUX button function, DRS=digital recording (must have option board), 2tonE= two tone sequential decode, dt=DTMF, tA= talkaround. Only one AUX condition can be set for all channels, however it can be turned on or off for specific channels in operation mode. PTT

RESUME A TIME

Set resume scanning delay time after receiving call in .5 second steps, PTT

RESUME B TIME

Set delay before scanning resumes after transmitting (in off hook scan mode) .5 sec, PTT

FIXED PRI CH

If option setting for priority is set at FI, fixed priority, select ch number, if set at US (user selectable) this will be skipped during programming, PTT

LOOKBACK A TIME

This sets the time between samples when looking back at the priority channel PTT

LOOKBACK B TIME

This sets the time between samples when looking back at the priority channel when the priority channel is busy but the signal does not have the PL tone you have programmed into the priority channel. PTT

REVERT CH (only enabled during off hook scan)

Use ch sel to set the channel the transmitter will revert to when PTT is pressed during off hook scan.

St = last channel selected before the scan switch was pressed

P CH = priority channel

CA CH = last channel a call was received on

US CH = last channel used (that was tra nsmitted on) before scan switch was pressed PTT/ END

In programming mode pressing the MON (SPKR symbol) button and turning the channel selector knob will take you back or forward in the menu selections in case you make a mistake or decide to make changes to previous settings while programming. In operation mode, to add/delete channels for scanning, press scan and add/delete button.

Adjustment pots on theTK705D/805D, facing front of radio, left to right back row.

VR4=max deviation set , VR3=Mic sensitivity set , VR7=dig waveform bal (set for squarest digital waveform as seen at output frequency on service monitor), VR6=PL tone level (500 to 750 ~), VR5=power out (set to 27W) right side of silver VCO box VR1=preset squelch level, VR2=ABTO (this is the level control when using the digital audio recording option board).

TC1= frequency (TCXO) adjustment (NOTE:THIS IS ONLY ON THE 705D, THE 805D FREQUENCY ADJUSTMENT IS LOCATED ON THE TCXO MODULE WHICH IS TO THE RIGHT OF THE SILVER VCO BOX TC1 on the 805 is a RF stage alignment cap...)

RA/RD jumper (CN7).

Is for use when using the radio with the digital recording option. RA position is for audio that follows the squelched audio, RD position is for unsquelched audio, (noise and audio).

D

DaveNF2G

My 805D only displays frequency numbers while programming channels. In normal operation it shows channel numbers regardless of the position of the CN8 jumper.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My 805D only displays frequency numbers while programming channels. In normal operation it shows channel numbers regardless of the position of the CN8 jumper.

That is normal. I have an 805D also.
n9zas

opsinsatx

Has this 805D been modded?

SO,

I have spent most of the evening trying to program an 805d.

I have the service manual found @ http://www.rfstuff.com/manuals/805D1-40.pdf.

I can get it to go into PC and Clone mode just fine.

I however cannot get it to clear, go in spec setting mode, or freq setting mode.

The CN8 jumper has been moved to "use".

Other details.

The display always has the AUX and ADD lights on.

Pressing Aux will toggle between ch1 to TA1, and ch2 to TA2.

It almost behaves as if the REC SCAN and D/A buttons are locked out.

I have taken the unit apart and the only sign of after sale soldering looks like the antenna cable. Other than that, I cant see anything else that looks altered.

The manual also mentions a KVP-1 unit? That looks optional. Anyone know what that was for?

I know the short answer is try a PC and cable. But I purchased this specifically so because it can be programmed from the panel.

Thanks for any feedback!

n8mrc

Feed Provider
Try this

SO,

I have spent most of the evening trying to program an 805d.

I have the service manual found @ http://www.rfstuff.com/manuals/805D1-40.pdf.

I can get it to go into PC and Clone mode just fine.

I however cannot get it to clear, go in spec setting mode, or freq setting mode.

The CN8 jumper has been moved to "use".

Other details.

The display always has the AUX and ADD lights on.

Pressing Aux will toggle between ch1 to TA1, and ch2 to TA2.

It almost behaves as if the REC SCAN and D/A buttons are locked out.

I have taken the unit apart and the only sign of after sale soldering looks like the antenna cable. Other than that, I cant see anything else that looks altered.

The manual also mentions a KVP-1 unit? That looks optional. Anyone know what that was for?

I know the short answer is try a PC and cable. But I purchased this specifically so because it can be programmed from the panel.

Thanks for any feedback!

Try this:

Beginning with SN 41200000 severaI new programming features were included in these models. These new features include a programmable Monitor Switch function, OFF-HOOK Scanning. OFF-HOOK decode, Transmit Revert Channel (for off-hook scanning), and an additional Scan Resume Delay (for the transmit revert channel). This Service Bulletin is revised to include the programming procedure for these new features in the self-programming mode.

Entering the self programming mode is accomplished by turning on the power switch while pressing a combination of buttons which act as an interlock. Jumper CN-8 located on the main board behind the display is in the SET position when the radio is shipped from the factory. This enables self programming. If CN-8 is moved to the USE position, which is recommended prior to delivering the radio to the customer, the self programming mode cannot be entered. ( The radio may be operated with the jumper in the set mode, but after exiting programming mode it will revert back to displaying channel numbers, not frequencies.)

Prior to initial programming, you may want to perform a Memory CIear. With CN8 in the set mode: SIMULTANEOUSLY press and hold the AUX. and SCAN and D/A while turning the power switch ON". This will remove any frequencies which were factory installed for testing purposes. The radio automatically enters the Option setting mode during memory clear.

To enter the Option Setting Mode without clearing memory, SIMULTANEOUSLY press and hold AUX and SCAN buttons while turning power ON (CN-8 on the main board must be in the set position).

OPTION SETTING MODE

(Pressing PTT between all functions stores the data and changes to next function)

Function Display Rotate channel selector to select Press
1 Band range 150.000~ 100Mhz SECTION (150-450) PTT
2 Time out timer t OFF Off-30-60-90-120-180 Sec (default=off) PTT
3 Busy ch lockout b On Off/on (default = on) no TX when channel is busy PTT
4 DEL/ADD condition dA On On=user select, off=fixed see RX ch & DEL/ADD PTT
5 Mic hook operation' H On On=scan on hook, PTT off hook, mon off hook,
Off=no scan, ptt on or off hook, no off hook monitor PTT
6 Priority channel P FI FI=FIXED US=user selectable (default=fixed) PTT
Additional features from sn 41200000
7 Monitor switch En On On=press to disable decode, hold to disable Sq.
Off=press to disable Squelch (default =on) PTT
8 Off hook monitor dE Off On= no off hook monitor, off=monitor off hook PTT
9 Off hook scan sc Off On= off hook scan, off=scan on hook only PTT
10 END END (turn off power)

RECOMMENDATIONS for NEW FEATURE SELECTIONS.

* Off Hook Monitor (dE OFF) is only enabled when On-Hook Scan is selected (SC=OFF)

* The "Last Called" option in the revert channel selection is supported in units bearing SN of 50700000 and higher only. Prior to this S/N, the "Last CalIed revert feature operated according to specifications outlined for certain export models only.

* The Revert channel during On-Hook scanning is the Priority channel only. The revert channel and Resume B selection is skipped during self programming when On Hook scanning is selected.

In the user mode, the display skips unprogrammed channels. During programming mode any mistakes in programming can be reprogrammed over but channels cannot be deleted once entered unless memory is cleared, and all desired information reprogrammed. When all desired tone and frequency entries are completed, continue pressing PTT (stepping across unprogrammed channels) until END is displayed. If any undesired channels were displayed prior to END, the memory must be cleared and reprogrammed. (memories may be cleared individually when using the KPG6D programming software by hitting all spaces.

FREQUENCY PROGRAMMING MODE

TK-705D AND TK-805D FREQUENCY, AUXILIARY & SCAN Programming
To enter the frequency programming mode, SIMULTANEOUSLY press and hold the "AUX and "D/A buttons while turning power "'ON" (CN-8 on the main board must be in the SET position)

CH1 - RX FREQ

Set ch1 RX freq by turning channel selector, hold AUX key when turning to change 1mhz

Press SCAN to change channel step from 10 and 12.5kc UHF or 5 and 6.25kc VHF

Press D/A key to enable delete/add scan function for this channel

Press REC to enable AUX switch function on this channel (selected later) PTT

RX TONE TYPE

Use ch selector to set RX tone type, QT (tone) or DQT (digital) DQT only on D model PTT

RX TONE FREQ

Display reads St for tone or S dt for digital

Set receive tone or digital with ch selector=.1hz, Ch sel+AUX for 1??????s digit, REC for 10??????s digit on tone. For digital, ch selector = 1??????s, AUX +ch sel = 10??????s, REC+ch sel = 100??????s, SCAN=normal/ inverse (note that non-standard tones can be selected for both tone or digital) PTT

TX FREQUENCY

Note: when TX settings are being programmed the TX symbol (--^) will be displayed

Use ch selector to set TX freq (or press PTT to set no tx (RX only channel), Ch sel+AUX=1mhz

Use SCAN button to set step size (see above, same as RX) PTT

TX TONE TYPE

Set TX tone type (see above)

TX TONE FREQ

Set tone freq (see above) PTT

-----> Repeat the above for CH2 to CH16 (bypass any channel by pressing PTT on blank "---.---"?????? channel.)

AFTER CHANNEL 16, PROGRAMMING ENTERS OPTION SELECT MENU (use Channel Sel to select option) AUX Set AUX button function, DRS=digital recording (must have option board), 2tonE= two tone sequential decode, dt=DTMF, tA= talkaround. Only one AUX condition can be set for all channels, however it can be turned on or off for specific channels in operation mode. PTT

RESUME A TIME

Set resume scanning delay time after receiving call in .5 second steps, PTT

RESUME B TIME

Set delay before scanning resumes after transmitting (in off hook scan mode) .5 sec, PTT

FIXED PRI CH

If option setting for priority is set at FI, fixed priority, select ch number, if set at US (user selectable) this will be skipped during programming, PTT

LOOKBACK A TIME

This sets the time between samples when looking back at the priority channel PTT

LOOKBACK B TIME

This sets the time between samples when looking back at the priority channel when the priority channel is busy but the signal does not have the PL tone you have programmed into the priority channel. PTT

REVERT CH (only enabled during off hook scan)

Use ch sel to set the channel the transmitter will revert to when PTT is pressed during off hook scan.

St = last channel selected before the scan switch was pressed

P CH = priority channel

CA CH = last channel a call was received on

US CH = last channel used (that was tra nsmitted on) before scan switch was pressed PTT/ END

In programming mode pressing the MON (SPKR symbol) button and turning the channel selector knob will take you back or forward in the menu selections in case you make a mistake or decide to make changes to previous settings while programming. In operation mode, to add/delete channels for scanning, press scan and add/delete button.

Adjustment pots on theTK705D/805D, facing front of radio, left to right back row.

VR4=max deviation set , VR3=Mic sensitivity set , VR7=dig waveform bal (set for squarest digital waveform as seen at output frequency on service monitor), VR6=PL tone level (500 to 750 ~), VR5=power out (set to 27W) right side of silver VCO box VR1=preset squelch level, VR2=ABTO (this is the level control when using the digital audio recording option board).

TC1= frequency (TCXO) adjustment (NOTE:THIS IS ONLY ON THE 705D, THE 805D FREQUENCY ADJUSTMENT IS LOCATED ON THE TCXO MODULE WHICH IS TO THE RIGHT OF THE SILVER VCO BOX TC1 on the 805 is a RF stage alignment cap...)

RA/RD jumper (CN7).

Is for use when using the radio with the digital recording option. RA position is for audio that follows the squelched audio, RD position is for unsquelched audio, (noise and audio).

It works for me, just make sure CN8 is in the program mode and you should be good to go

opsinsatx

Looks like it was fine.

Well Sort of.

I took it apart and found that the little plastic buttons used to actuate the microswitches for SCAN and D/A actually had a groove worn in them from use. I switched them around and was able to get into the frequency programming mode. So all is good there.

Next silly question, Does anyone know where I can find a pinout diagram of the microphone jack? I have tried several Google searches and can't seem to come up with it. I thought I had found something a few weeks ago but of course forgot to bookmark it.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
How to set power level on 805D

Hello - I recently picked up three TK-805D units at auction. Testing with a dummy load and a power meter, I noted that two units transmitted 25W on one channel, and 5w on the rest. The third unit transmits 5w on all channels. I programmed ham repeaters into one unit, and noted that on the one channel (1) that transmitted 25w still did after reprogramming, and the others still transmitted on 5w. Not seeing any setting for power level, I figured that the default was probably 25 and resetting memory and reprogramming would get me 25w on all frequencies. Quite the opposite; now get only 5w on each! The frequencies are within 700Khz of each other so it's not the difference in frequency. Something was allowing 25w on channel 1 before reset. Any ideas whether there is some way to set power level? Thought I saw specs somewhere that indicated they can be set to 5w or 25w, but it didn't say how. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.