RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 3:00 PM

>If you're REALLY determined and know the system is not encrypted, there are much cheaper ways to monitor.. Hit google for a bit.

So I have googled and I still can't any way of monitoring NXDN trunked systems. An NX radio won't do it as you've pointed out, and hooking up the DSD software to a scanner doesn't work either. Can you ellaborate how you do it then?
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2012, 5:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Find the owner of the system and very politely ask them to program the radio as receive only on the talk groups that you want to listen to. (Yes they can designate a radio as receive only. However, it will transmit a data burst to register on the system) Otherwise you are SOL. One of the reasons that we sell so much Nexedge is that it cannot easily be monitored. Look at it from the user's perspective- Would you want everyone within a 50 mile radius knowing how many widgets you were shipping or the locations of all of your delivery stops?
Old 10-20-2012, 7:10 AM

ok thanks for clarifying...so still don't think there is any passive way of doing it then.
Old 01-11-2013, 7:53 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGlock View Post
Any chance an Icom with IDAS would decode trunked channels? Anyone tried this yet?
I tried it and the Icom radios work well on 6.25 khz (4K00F1E emission) systems. They will decode audio, talkgroup IDs, and radio unit IDs. They will not decode 12.5 khz (8K30F1E emission) systems. I am using Icom models F4161 (portable) and F6061 (mobile). Program the radio to scan the voice channels of the system using RAN 0.
Old 01-11-2013, 9:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Were you able to monitor a TRUNKED Kenwood Nexedge system or an IDAS system? They are drastically different. So far we have not found any way to monitor trunked Nexedge channels even given that we are the system's owner.
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2013, 6:05 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycomm View Post
Were you able to monitor a TRUNKED Kenwood Nexedge system or an IDAS system? They are drastically different. So far we have not found any way to monitor trunked Nexedge channels even given that we are the system's owner.
Yes, I am able to monitor a TRUNKED Kenwood Nexedge system. The radio will scan the frequencies, decode audio, and display talkgroup and radio IDs. The Icom radio will, of course, not follow specific Nexedge talkgroups, other than how they might come up as the radio is scanning. I am aware of the difference between Nexedge and iDAS.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 PM

wirr,

Can you explain how you set that up? I've tried it on NX-410's and NX-900's with no luck on my own 5 channel NexEdge trunked system.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It will not work with Kenwood radios, they are designed not to decode a trunked channel if programmed in conventional mode. I need to see proof that the Icom radios will do it. I can't imagine why Icom would decode the talkgroup ID's. If someone wants to lend me an Icom radio & software I'll try it.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 AM

OK, that's what I figured. I know I've tried on my system, but was never able to get it to decode anything. It won't even let me listen to the noise. The S-meter shows a signal, but zero audio.

I'd like to see a Icom do it also. Not saying it can't be done, but I'd love to see it working to see what it looks like. I can't try and Icom. One, I don't have one, and two, Icom doesn't make one that covers 800MHz.
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

The only reason you cant listen to NEXEDGE trunking system frequencies in conventional is because the voice frame sync type is slightly different from conventional nexedge, there is a modified version of DSD out there that can decode the Voice frame sync type on a NEXEDGE trunking system as opposed to conventional nexedge system