• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nexedge Trunking Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
Anyone here a user or a system administrator of a Kenwood Nexedge digital trunking system?

I have a few questions about the system and overall satisfaction with this technology.

baycomm

Nexedge System Owner

We own a 5 site (soon to be 6) networked Nexedge system. I would be happy to answer your questions. Feel free to PM me for my contact information.

Works absolutely great.

groundgrid

Premium Subscriber
The Nexedge trunked systems have a considerable amount of built in security. If your county is installing a trunked Nexedge system you will not be able to program the radios yourself. The frequencies and configuration data are stored in a special file and can only be edited by the system owner. The programming software needs a "System Key" file that is generated by the owner so that it can be enabled to program radios on the system.
The radios will not receive on a trunked channel even if you program the frequencies into it in simplex mode. Plus, there is no such thing as a receive only radio. Each radio must register on the system by transmitting its ID. The system will then enable it if it is valid. If the county lets you buy a radio, they can program it to receive only once it has transmitted its ID to the system.

These features are one of the reasons that Nexedge is becoming so popular with public safety agencies.

The solution is for the scanner community to pressure the manufacturer's to build a Nexedge capable scanner.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm in the middle of installing a 5 channel single site 800MHz system at work. I went to a two day crash course at Kenwood early last year in programming the system. We played with a VHF single channel system for a while and we liked it. Looking forward to getting the new system up and running. I've got 300 hand held and 50 mobiles sitting in my equipment room waiting for me to program.

Next year we will likely be adding a second site.

All this for a fraction of the cost of P25.

Astro25

I have 4 NXDN UHF trunking sites on the air. Works fantastic, end users really like the durability of the radios and the audio. We haven't had too many issues, and Kenwood's tech support has been great.

We still have a linked PassPort analog system that is to be changed over by the end of the year.

kf4lza

I built and manage a 11 site Nexedge system in south florida. Had to incorporate redundant LTE backhauls with VPN's but it's great. 43 channels total so far. If anyone has any questions or needs help I can help.

RDOGUY

LTE ?

I built and manage a 11 site Nexedge system in south florida. Had to incorporate redundant LTE backhauls with VPN's but it's great. 43 channels total so far. If anyone has any questions or needs help I can help.

Just curious what Switch and modem you are using ?

Best Regards

nexeradio

I have been administrating a very narrow 5 site nexedge system. feel free guys to ask anything.
pm me any time.

domes

HP MSR 20 20
Cisco RV082
Cradlepoints for the LTE backups.

What model cradlepoint are you using and are you still using the RV082 behind the cradlepoint for your VPNs? I also use RV082s for my wired sites but I want to add 2 more sites that AT&T DSL/U-verse can't serve and cable wants too much to run cable to the tower.

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Guys, you really sure that NEXEDGE trunking cannot be listened without transmitting ID? I've found some trunking system, programmed it as conventional VN channels, and able to listen it with no issues. I am pretty sure that it's trunking, because it uses dedicated control channel and voice channels jumps from time to time.

baycomm

The Kenwood radios will not open the audio path if listening to a trunked transmission with the radio programmed in conventional mode. All you get is the busy light with no way to monitor it.
Let me know exactly what you are doing to be able to listen.

wireless_friendly

Banned
I am listening and it's Kenwood NEXEDGE. It's 200%. Because I know this network, know all hardware used, company who built, and... I have one legit terminal from this network. It's NX-200-K2. I just put same channels in my NX-700 (as conventional), set channels to VN, and I hear voice conversations. Voice channels are jumps, so it's looks like I hear trunking.

wireless_friendly

Banned
Maybe it's firmware depended feature? That's network few years old, but my NX-700 is FW v2.52.

domes

Not possible. All kenwd NX radios from day-1 are inbred to go mute if it receives trunked signals. Even if you program an NX radio for analog it won't let you hear the buzzzzzzz in analog either. Maybe you are listening to private, non-trunked channels that happen to be on the same tower as the trunked system. Who's computer/SW did you use to program your radio. Maybe if you used their system computer with their system key?

wireless_friendly

Banned
No. I do not have access to system PC. I will re-check with my NX-700 to be sure for 200%. It was 1 year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.