RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 9:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Kenwood 2 tone paging

Hello all,

So I'm pretty new to Kenwood radios, and had a question about the two-tone paging in models like the 3180 and 3312 series. I've noticed that the AND/OR setting under the Audio Control section seems to apply for a whole zone. Is there any way to have both "And" as well as "Or" apply to different channels within the same zone, like if you wanted a channel to stay silent until the proper two-tone set is decoded, as well as have that same channel "open" but still alert with the correct two tone set?
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2012, 1:04 AM

I don't believe so. If you have those same two channels in the same zone and the and/or setting is within the zone settings it applies to all channels in that zone. Is there a reason they need to be in the same zone? You could set one zone with 'or' setting and all of your channels in case you wanted to scan... and a second zone with 'and' that includes just the page channel in case you didn't want to scan. Or duplicate both zones with the different 'and' 'or' settings and choose the zone that reflects your mood. When I get a request for something like this it works for the user if we include the 'or' channel in the zone with all the scan channels and a separate zone with just a 'and' channel for when the go to bed. They just change zones. Hope this helps... let me know if I missed something.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks! You covered everything I was looking for, I was thinking having separate zones might be the case from what I was seeing, but wasn't sure. The majority of what we use now are Motorola HT1250s, and what we typically did was have the primary dispatch on channel 1, and then the "closed/muted" version of that on one of the higher channels labeled as "Paging". Changing zones on an HT1250 is a real pain, and I'm glad to see with Kenwood it can be accomplished with just a button press instead of it being menu-driven.