• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Fleetsync system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theroofable

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
Im setting up ID numbers for a fleetsync caller ID system for fire company use in my township. I had the idea of making all the portables in the same truck have the same ID number. What I have found out is that it will not accept its own number in the caller id, nothing shows up. Is there any way to make it read its own number? Also, what is the difference between fs 1 and fleetsync II? Anyone who has an effective system setup give some input? Our system is made up from 790s, 7160s, 7180s, 7360s, and 2170s. Any advise is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,
Im trying to setup a fleetsync system for multiple fire companies in my township. I had the idea of making the truck portables have the same ID number. What I have found out is that it will not accept its own number in the caller id, nothing shows up. Is there any way to make it read its own number? Also, what is the difference between fs 1 and fleetsync II? I am trying to setup a good organized system, but it may get alittle hairy since they cant read their own numbers. I can get around this I suppose, but it just threw me a curve. Anyone who has an effective system setup give some input? Our system is made up from 790s, 7160s, 7180s, 7360s, and 2170s. Any advise is appreciated.

Not trying to be rude, but if you are setting up a system for public safety, I would hope that you have the knowledge to set up the system without relying on a forum for assistance. Public safety communication is vital and can be the difference in life or death for not only a civilian, but public safety personnel also. This is sending chills down my spine thinking about the failure that could happen if something is misconfigured. Flame me if you want, but I would rather someone with proper training and knowledge set it up.

Theroofable

Premium Subscriber
You have misunderstood. No ones life relies around a fleetsync caller ID system. If you think that people communicate by using a caller ID you are mistaken. In no way am I relying on information. I am simply asking if there is a way to make the caller ID show up when the radio shares the same number as the radio transmitting. If it does not work then other numbers will obviously be assigned. This is only a caller ID system, none of the radios are setup to do emergency functions. Just looking to expand the communication capabilities by adding a fleetsync caller ID system. Thanks for the help...

CCEMS703

If its not taking the same ID as the OWN then just make it a diffrent OWN number and then just put the ID as the same unit number
example

100-1000 - Truck One
100-1001 - Truck One

100-2000 - Truck Two
100-2001 - Truck Two
Hope this helps out some and didnt confuse you

Theroofable

Premium Subscriber
Thats sort of what I did. I just find it strange that it doesnt read the caller ID if the one transmitted is the same as the OWN for that specific unit.
I came up with a system that uses the fleet number as the station number, and the ID number for the apparatus. How many people actually use the caller ID out there? I have never seen it used anywhere around here. I just wanted some sample ID lists that people are currently using, since I was starting from scratch. I have the kinks worked out now, and hopefully this will be implemented when our radios get narrowbanded.

You have misunderstood. No ones life relies around a fleetsync caller ID system. If you think that people communicate by using a caller ID you are mistaken. In no way am I relying on information. I am simply asking if there is a way to make the caller ID show up when the radio shares the same number as the radio transmitting. If it does not work then other numbers will obviously be assigned. This is only a caller ID system, none of the radios are setup to do emergency functions. Just looking to expand the communication capabilities by adding a fleetsync caller ID system. Thanks for the help...

Oh ok. I did misunderstand your post and the information that I read online about FleetSync. I apologize and no hard feelings I hope. :)

Theroofable

Premium Subscriber
Oh ok. I did misunderstand your post and the information that I read online about FleetSync. I apologize and no hard feelings I hope. :)
No problem. Its not about not having knowledge and experience with programming. This system of using caller IDs has never been implemented around here, and I have been working out the bugs and developing a good system that can be expanded effectively in the future. When I have everything completed, I will post up the results, and how we are liking the system. I have it in a few radios already, and everyone likes it so far. I came here seeking advise from people who are currently using the ID system for sample configurations. I thought I had a final list made up but I didnt realize that a radio would not read a caller ID that shared with its own, example multiple radios using the same ID number. Now that I have that worked out, I can fix the list and update the radios.

I have been trying to decide weather to use fleetsync I or fleetsync II. Are there any obvious advantages from one to the other?

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Straight from the help file:

FleetSync II is a new FleetSync signaling protocol format adopting FEC (Forward Error Correction) technology. The error correcting function provides more reliable data communications.

The FEC coding provides error detection and correction to help counter the deteriorating effects of excessive fading and noise on a communication channel. However, the FEC technology increases overhead and requires a maximum of 4 times longer transmission time than data using FleetSync format.

The FleetSync format utilizes error detection only. An entire FleetSync message must be sent again if an error is detected.

Fleetstink II would only be useful when using something like messaging. For non "ack" data, it would make no difference. If all you do is PTT ID, leave FS II off.

firealarm4ten

Premium Subscriber
Rich Muller

try adding a letter to the end such as A,B,C to the end for each portable as it will allow this and make troubleshooting an open mic easy

Theroofable

Premium Subscriber
try adding a letter to the end such as A,B,C to the end for each portable as it will allow this and make troubleshooting an open mic easy
What do you mean? For the power up display? Not understanding what you mean...

I have found that the ALL feature for caller ID on other fleet numbers does not work. Example if I have a fleet number of 110 for the radio and interpret 111 fleet and ALL, it just shows the specific number, such as 111-1000 instead of the caller id set for it. Any suggestions?

nick223

Feed Provider
You need a 4 digit number my first number represents what type of radio (0= base, 1=portable,2= mobile) then the last three is the vehicle number. 2901 so I know 2 mobile 901 is the chief. All portables are by members roster number 1940 1 portable 940 is my number. Vehicles with multiple portables 1,2,3,4 at the end in the alias name I put in A-D representing with what seat they are. Also if you have multiple mobiles pre vehicle start the call sign at 3 so you know that's the back mobile. 2 would be the front mobile. That's just how I been doing it.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Your best bet may be to give each radio a unique ID number (keep a spreadsheet) and use the alias feature in the programming to tell the user what truck it is from. That way every radio has a unique ID as was intended and you still get the ability to identify all the radios from a particular vehicle as belonging to it.

There were some releases of firmware in earlier 80 series radios that caused the radio to go dumb if it received it's own ID code. Fleetsync was designed to have a unique ID code for each radio.

jeffycc

FleetSync Help

I am trying to program portables and mobiles, multiple different kinds, listed below. I would like to do a PTT ID system where a number will lead to an alias being programmed into the radios. I've done this with Motorola Astro and XT 2500, 5000's and understand that. Is this fleet sync the same kind of thing?

Right now I am trying to program a TK-2170 VHF. I have the ID List as follows:

100 - 1001 Eng 6
100 - 1002 Eng 2
100 - 1003 C1 POV
100 - 1004 Car 1
100 - 1005 Res 1
100 - 1006 For 1
100 - 2000 T1 Port
100 - 2001 E6 Port
100 - 2002 E2 Port
100 - 2003 C1 Port
100 - 2004 C1 Port2
100 - 2005 R1 Port
100 - 2006 F1 Port

What are the settings that have to be turned on so all the mobiles and portables will see this. There is this OPT Signal in the Zone Information section, does this have to be turned on to show Fleet Syng? And then saw something on this feed about the Channel Edit PTT ID has to either be BOT or EOT or Both?

Thanks for all your help!

JeffLab1@comcast.net

nick223

Feed Provider
I am trying to program portables and mobiles, multiple different kinds, listed below. I would like to do a PTT ID system where a number will lead to an alias being programmed into the radios. I've done this with Motorola Astro and XT 2500, 5000's and understand that. Is this fleet sync the same kind of thing?

Right now I am trying to program a TK-2170 VHF. I have the ID List as follows:

100 - 1001 Eng 6
100 - 1002 Eng 2
100 - 1003 C1 POV
100 - 1004 Car 1
100 - 1005 Res 1
100 - 1006 For 1
100 - 2000 T1 Port
100 - 2001 E6 Port
100 - 2002 E2 Port
100 - 2003 C1 Port
100 - 2004 C1 Port2
100 - 2005 R1 Port
100 - 2006 F1 Port

What are the settings that have to be turned on so all the mobiles and portables will see this. There is this OPT Signal in the Zone Information section, does this have to be turned on to show Fleet Syng? And then saw something on this feed about the Channel Edit PTT ID has to either be BOT or EOT or Both?

Thanks for all your help!

JeffLab1@comcast.net

I use mdc with kenwood but have used fleet sync for awhile. It's just like mdc you have to turn it on in each channel. Just like you said. Bot= before transmit. Eot end of transmit. Or both before and after. Then depending on the radio software you have to go in the option tab and select fleet sync or mdc then for your alias list go under fleet sync or mdc witch ever one your using and add the names to your 4 digit alias.

jeffycc

I found the "Optional Features" area and it will only give me DTMF or FleetSync. I did try to transmit toa MDC 1200 system, and the ID never came up, so Im guessing thats a the MDC 1200 system configuration, not the radio. I was just making sure I did the configuration correctly. I will have to mess around with it this week. Thank you for your help!

nick223

Feed Provider
I found the "Optional Features" area and it will only give me DTMF or FleetSync. I did try to transmit toa MDC 1200 system, and the ID never came up, so Im guessing thats a the MDC 1200 system configuration, not the radio. I was just making sure I did the configuration correctly. I will have to mess around with it this week. Thank you for your help!

i know in the kpg 89d software you have to go under model information ans switch it there too. You might also need a firmware upgrade. What radios you doing again and program software?

nick223

Feed Provider
if its the tk 2170 i dont think it does the mdc 1200 it might with a firmware upgrade. Might as well stick to the fleet sync option

jeffycc

Here is what I have for programs and radios:

KPG-82D programming a TK-3160 UHF
KPG-44D programming a TK-790 VHF Mobile
KPG-89D programming a TK-7180H VHF
KPG-92D programming a TK-8180 UHF mobile and a TK-3180 UHF Portable
KPG-101D Programming a TK-2170 VHF Portable
KPG-128D programming a TK-3360 UHF Portable

I wish kenwood would make a bi-band or tri-band "firefighter" portable. It really stinks have all these different ones.

Not sure about the firmware upgrade, I will have to review each individual radio. Hopefully they are all up to date, or that will be another problem I will have to figure out.

Thanks for all your help guys!

KJ4NFP

How I do it...

I manage the radio systems in each of the correctional institutions in my state. What I outlined below has worked for me through several versions of kenwood and motorola radios in each location.

Each location has a site code as the first three digits. So in the fleetsync options menu "100" is changed to reflect that location code.

The following four represent the callsign of that unit. All of ours are one to three digit callsigns, so I use the last three in the number for that. I use the first digit as an identifier of what type of radio (base, mobile, portable).

This part takes the most amount of time, but is so beneficial when it is done. kenwood provides an area to store a name alias along with the fleetsync ID assignment in the radio. I build the list for each location and each place has a complete list of all radios on the system. with caller ID enabled, when a unit calls they see the alias, not the unit ID. As newer radios come out, the alias area seems to grow longer, though some of the older ones have a very limited number to use.

We have a 24/7 EOC at each site so I have all emergency traffic (panic button, man down, tilt switch, lone worker) send to the dispatch radio only so we control the flow of emergency information and keep the operation flowing smoothly.

We do not use individual calling or paging in our system, so I do not make use of those features, but they can be used along with fleetsync effectively.

Just my two-cents!

RJC
KJ4NFP

Status
Not open for further replies.