RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 5:30 PM

Default TK-780 delayed shut-down

I have heard that you can get a TK-780 to delay it's shut down after turning the key off. Is this true? What is needed to do this? does it need more wires than the basic power/ground harness that I use already? Does the power get hooked up to Keyed power, or Battery power?
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2012, 8:30 PM

Yup. You need the Kenwood KCT-18 cable and the KCT-19 interface cable. The KCT-19 gives you a multi-pin cable that comes out of the radio to a plug. The KCT-18 will plug into KCT-19 on pin 3. KCT-18 is a yellow fused wire that will need to be attached to an ignition switched power source. The radios normal power input stays as is, hopefully fed directly off the vehicle battery.

Once you have that all wired, the radio will need to be programmed to allow ignition switched with delay option.

I've got this on my NX-700 and NX-900 in my work truck and it's set to 3 hours of delay. When I get in the truck and start it, the radios power up. When I shut the truck off, the radios will stay on for 3 hours, then power down on their own. The radio's power switches still functions and will allow me to turn the radios on/off via the front switch.

This is a great thing to have on a radio as it will keep the radio from draining your battery. I'd occasionally leave the radios on overnight and drain the battery down. I've installed this on both our personal vehicles also. My wife really likes it since she doesn't need to remember to turn the radio off.