RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 6:00 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default TK-8180 no MDC1200

Hi,

I have a TK-8180 HK and am trying to get the MDC1200 working, but I can't seem to find anything in the software mentioning it. I have firmware version 1.22.00 loaded into the radio and am using software version 1.6. I have experience with the NX series, and I noticed that in the NX software, along the top of the Zone Information window, there are 3 parameters I can change (Zone Type, Signalling Type, and Zone name). In the TK-8180 software, I only see Zone Type and Zone Name. Am I looking in the wrong place to select MDC1200? Am I using the wrong software version? Does the fact that this is a trunking radio make a difference? Thanks in advance...
Old 12-05-2012, 6:24 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unlike a NX, a 8180 will do fleetsync OR mdc1200 but not both at the same time. The change is made under "model information".
Old 12-05-2012, 6:28 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Just looked and behold! The drop down list was right there in the Model Information window, that last place I would have thought to look lol. Thank you, sir!
Old 01-18-2013, 9:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

give fleetsync atry you might like it, many more features than mdc1200
Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The agencies near me do not use fleetsync, they use MDC, so I needed the MDC protocall to decode the ID's and enable emergency alerting.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillmobile View Post
give fleetsync atry you might like it, many more features than mdc1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
The agencies near me do not use fleetsync, they use MDC, so I needed the MDC protocall to decode the ID's and enable emergency alerting.
FleetSync might be more feature-laden, but it's less prolific and as you say, not compatible with MDC, which a lot of agencies still use.

Also for what it's worth, I had a batch of 8180s that entered a locked-up state (squelch open at loudest volume level) upon receiving an FS burst, from which the only recovery was to physically remove power from the radio (no buttons would work, not even the power button). I don't know if it was firmware-age related, because even though I have upgraded all my radios to 1.22, I haven't re-enabled FS - because like phillydjdan, I need the MDC feature set.