RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 3:41 AM

Question Kenwood TK-860 Series Question

I think I have officially chosen the Kenwood TK-860 series mobiles for my use and I would like to use them on the MURS frequencies.

I have several questions:
1. I know that the radios are generally 25+ watt transmitting power and MURS is limited to 2 ? watts I believe it was...
Is their anyway to put the MURS wattage limit on to this radio? Or any radio for that matter??

2. If it's not possible to do that, are their any legal MURS **MOBILE** radios? Both radios are going into trucks so HandHeld's are not an option as this point.

3. What type antenna will I need? i.e. W/L, antenna length, etc... Any links to a good magnetic base type or trunk lip mounted antenna would be helpful !

Anything I should know before I go and buy 2 of the TK-860 series?
Old 06-15-2013, 6:16 AM

The TK-860 is a UHF radio, MURS is VHF - Its not gonna work!
Old 06-15-2013, 6:44 AM

Crap,
I'm not up on the radio comm world. Thank you for pointing that out! I would have been screwed and NOT known it!!! LOL
I didn't realize they were UHF, I should have checked on that first. My bad..

Would you be able to recommend a pair of decent used mobile radio(s) that would work on MURS? I would prefer kenwood, Motorola, or Vertex because they have locations within 50-100 miles of me for if I need service work. I'm working on a smaller budget for the setup, that's why I need used gear. My budget is around $500 is where i'd like to be, but I can maybe do about $600.
Old 06-15-2013, 7:22 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Look for TK 760's.. They are VHF
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM

Will do: dcr_inc!

What kind of antenna would work that is either magnetic or trunk lip mounted?
Lastly, would this do about 3-5 miles between vehicles with 2 Kenwood TK-760's and say either a 24" or 36" (proper type) whip antenna?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It should...Look for a 5/8 wave base loaded antenna.. A trunk lip would probably be better as it will have a quasi ground plane..
Old 06-17-2013, 9:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Take a look at the Larsen antenna brand, their built quite well and have a nice selection of mounts and antennas.