• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk7180/TK8180 Dual Band Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinw251

I was just curious if there was a control head like the KRK-6DH that will allow the TK7180 and the TK8180 to work with a single control head like you can with the 790 and the 890. I have a Ford Factory Center console in my pickup and I have to go with a remote mount reguardless. But With the Fire Department we use VHF, and with my day Full Time Job we use UHF.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not yet.

Earlier this year I was at IWCE and Kenwood had a dual head set up on display for the NX series radios. It was obviously a one off product from the lab, but I've been told twice now that it is in the works. I specifically asked about dual band/single head, since I run an NX-900 and an NX-700 (800MHz and VHF) in my work truck. I was told that the design was basically the same, so it wasn't out of the question.

I know, you are not talking about the NX series radios, but the NX 7,8,900 all use the same chassis as the 7180 and 8180. They use the same remote head kit (KRK-10) so they should be inter-changeable.

BirkenVogt

The head is so small that 2 strips of metal with some holes drilled in them along the sides would allow for 2 heads stacked on one bracket (if you are using a bracket and not a console hole) and the benefit is always that both radios are operational at the same time instead of having only one channel at a time regardless of band as is the case with a single head, plus it is a lot easier than waiting for Kenwood to come out with some new software which may never happen for what is a lower-priced radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If Kenwood would make a single head/dual band version of the 7/8180H I would seriously consider buying a dual band set-up for my truck. Ideally it would be 512 channels per band. But 512 channels total would be workable. While i have a F-350 Super duty, the radio mounting options are somewhat limited mostly because of the centre useless jump seat. i did look at a dual band/single control head TK-7/890H but it is very limited channel wise, 160 channels is just not enough for running ham and LMR in one radio. I can not remember but I have less than 10 available channels in my TK-760HG-1 left over, and it does not have any ham frequencies in it.

Sent from an unknown place...

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood is about to introduce two 'new' mobile dual band/single control head units. From what I'm told (from our local Kenwood dealer) both dual band units will have the same style control head - The control head for the TK-5710 or TK-5810. From there you can pick the 5710/5810 radios, or the 5720/5820 radios. You will only be able to use VHF/UHF radios. You will not be able to incorporate a VHF low band radio into the mix.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Reliable source says they'll be released at IWCE this year (March 24th - 27th). This is pretty standard for Kenwood, they tend to release new LMR products at IWCE.

In addition, it sounds like Kenwood has heard the call for radios that do both NexEdge and P25 in the same radio. Not surprising since both NexEdge (NXDN) and P25 use the AMBE+2 vocoder. It's likely just a memory size solution that allows them to keep the firmware for both modes in the same radio. Kenwood has offered the NX-x00 model radios as NexEdge with the option to reflash them to P25 for a few years now, so other than the memory issue, it's technically possible.

Colton25

Reliable source says they'll be released at IWCE this year (March 24th - 27th). This is pretty standard for Kenwood, they tend to release new LMR products at IWCE.

In addition, it sounds like Kenwood has heard the call for radios that do both NexEdge and P25 in the same radio. Not surprising since both NexEdge (NXDN) and P25 use the AMBE+2 vocoder. It's likely just a memory size solution that allows them to keep the firmware for both modes in the same radio. Kenwood has offered the NX-x00 model radios as NexEdge with the option to reflash them to P25 for a few years now, so other than the memory issue, it's technically possible.

well if you hear anything after the IWCE about this setup please let me know!!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Will do. The expo part of IWCE opens next Wednesday. I'll get there late Wednesday evening and won't go until Thursday. I'll take some pictures if I see a production unit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I haven't heard anything yet. KRK-13 is out there for dual head. With the NX-5000 coming out and being specifically capable of dual RF deck operation, this might complicate things. Then again, not sure how the NX-5000 will fit in between the TK-5710 types and the NX-x00 series. I haven't heard anything to suggest the NX-5000 will be replacing anything.

Colton25

So are you saying the nx series can be set up as dual band?

Not yet.

Earlier this year I was at IWCE and Kenwood had a dual head set up on display for the NX series radios. It was obviously a one off product from the lab, but I've been told twice now that it is in the works. I specifically asked about dual band/single head, since I run an NX-900 and an NX-700 (800MHz and VHF) in my work truck. I was told that the design was basically the same, so it wasn't out of the question.

I know, you are not talking about the NX series radios, but the NX 7,8,900 all use the same chassis as the 7180 and 8180. They use the same remote head kit (KRK-10) so they should be inter-changeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.