RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 6:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Kenwood TK-7180 max power

With the 7180 or 8180 I know is the lower power version and the H is the higher power version. Is there really a difference or is it a sales gimmick? I know in the software the power can be adjusted so I know it is at least capable of the higher power.

Some other examples of what I am talking about would be a tk-2180 with out the DTMF keypad. If you open the radio the board is there you just need the rubber face and the cut out outer case for the buttons and like /\/\ minitors 3, 4 and 5 you buy a 2 channel pager and you can change it to 2 channel in the software with the Engineer logon or make it store voice in the Engineer Software and with the correct knob. You know extra ways to make that little extra money
Lycoming county, PA Live Scanner Feed http://scanner.w3ahs.com
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014, 7:04 PM

Looking at the schematics for both the TK-7180 and the TK-7180H shows some component differences, including the RF amp(IC-1) and some of the components heading out to the antenna connector.

The RF Amp for the 7180H is shown as P/N RA60H1317M1-23
The RF Amp for the 7180 is shown as P/N RA30H1317M-23

The downstream (towards the antenna) capacitors are different values and there are some differences in the RF sensing circuits.

Transmitter alignment procedures clearly show 33 watts (+ or - 3 watts) for the non-H and 53 watts (+ or - 3 watts) for the H.

This specific warning is including in the directions for both:
CAUTION!
Do not attempt to adjust the transceiver’s transmit
output power beyond its specifications.
If the transceiver is adjusted beyond the
specifications, it may cause deterioration of the
parts reliability and the output power may be
lowered suddenly and unstable.
The transceiver may be also extremely hot.

Replacing components would obviously void the radios type certification, as I'm sure you know.
Old 01-01-2014, 8:43 PM

Default Re: Kenwood TK-7180 max power

And to further add to the great response above. I don't know about all models, but I tried to do what you describe about a non dtmf pad TK-5210 and it would not work. Not sure if it is hard coded in the radio or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

OK Thank you for your responses. As for the TK-5210 that could be. I have the TK-2180 and the board was in there for that when I added the keypad. I have a 3180 also but havent opened that but would guess the board is there. I have 2 of the 7180 mobiles and a 8180 also which they are the lower power version. I got them used a few years ago at good prices so couldnt go wrong.
Lycoming county, PA Live Scanner Feed http://scanner.w3ahs.com
Old 04-28-2014, 7:22 PM

I did repeated and prolonged transmissions from my k model and it got hot and cut out, not sure doubling the power would be good as a fan would have to be installed. Or I could talk less...
Sponsored links