RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Default Cheap radio for LTR Trunking

We are looking for a cheap even maybe 2ch radio that will do LTR Trunking system. does not need to be encrypted. One frequency for the system and a back up in case it goes down.

We got Kenwood TK3173 decent price and works great but don't need anything fancy.

Suggestions on models that will do the trick, was looking on ebay some TK380s say trunk capable but be honest haven't looked over the radio software yet.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Kenwood is a good choice for LTR due to the prices if the models. The programing software is user friendly and setting up a trunked system on it is a breeze. I have a TK-3140 myself and have had no problems with it. I don't know of any with only a two channel selector as it has become impractical. ICOM would also be another selection for LTR ready radios. Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The 380's are great radios but remember they are no longer supported and one of the problem parts are the LCD units which develop "leaky" edges and pixels out.

The TK-3140 as mentioned, is also a good choice.

Icom radios like the IC-F4061 early iDAS portables are usually in the wild minus the UT-119/UT-126 digital boards for under $100 from time to time. These are good radios and natively do LTR as well:

IC-F3061 / F4061 VHF / UHF transceiver - Features - Icom America
Old 03-26-2014, 3:58 PM

Mostly they would be used for outside Lifeguards on duty this summer we need replace few radios prices of new are lets just say ouch to the budget. I will look at the prices of Icoms as long as they support the LTR system we using..
Old 03-26-2014, 4:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Another excellent option would be the CSI (Connect Systems, Inc.) 3000 series (VHF or UHF) models for a portable, or 4000 series for mobile. They do both LTR and analog.
Excellent equipment that is extremely reasonable in price (price will probably blow you away), and beyond durable. Their programming software is also very user friendly (downloadable free from their website), and they even throw in a free USB programming cable on your first order.
I have been using their gear in public safety for a number of years and can attest to this gear. If it is dependable to this extreme and holds up as well as it does, I can't say enough good stuff about it.

"An undependable radio and/or system is unsafer than having no radio at all"....
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2014, 6:26 PM

Guessing need to call for prices??

When we have multiple users the radios go to crap quick, had numerous radios some how drop into pool or fell off lifeguard stand etc..
Old 03-27-2014, 8:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

TK-380 radio is excellent. I use them on a trunking system and conventional repeaters/simplex with very good results. Audio is nice and loud and the programming software is really easy to use. They are kind of bulky but have survived several drops on a floor. No issues with the LCD screens on mine (fingers crossed) and no real complaints.
Old 03-27-2014, 9:06 AM

ya that's what we have now for them but was told by radio service they wont work on the system? Need to check my program software for that version of radio.