• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-790H - squelch after narrowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndjmix

I have a kenwood TK-790H that I purchased used. Using it for Baja race communications, most channels are in the 150 and 151 MHz band. I also have it programmed for some lower 2 meter frequencies (I am licensed for ham). Some of which are simplex and some are repeaters. With all channels set to wide it works great.

All of the Baja guys have gone to narrow band as per FCC. I wanted to make my first 16 channels narrow and the ham ones wide.

When I program any channel on narrow, I get non stop static (squelch) on that channel.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance!

--john

cabletech

I have also noticed that some radios when having both wide and narrow frequencys have some sequelch problems.

Sounds like you need to use a FM service monitor and check the alignment settings to inculde sequelch settings.

flux4201

Premium Subscriber
Are your commercial channels PL or DPL guarded? You are going to have to go into test mode in the KPG-44D software, set it to narrow, and tighten the squelch. When i narrowbanded alot of TK-790's for the fire service, i had to tighten the squelch for that issue.

jaolson101

I haven't experienced the squelch issue, however I am unable to get any of the NB channels to function within a scan list. The radio scans, it just will not stop and open when there is traffic on those channels. I reprogrammed a mirrored group resetting them to WB configuration and the scan works just fine. Anyone else encountered this?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I haven't experienced the squelch issue, however I am unable to get any of the NB channels to function within a scan list. The radio scans, it just will not stop and open when there is traffic on those channels. I reprogrammed a mirrored group resetting them to WB configuration and the scan works just fine. Anyone else encountered this?

Haven't had a problem with scan, but would try adjusting squelch narrow to see if it helps. I have seen many 790s with squelch problems or downright no receive (unless monitor is pressed) after channels have been switched to narrow band.

The settings of both squelch tight and squelch open in the test section should be done with a calibrated signal generator IF you want to go exactly by the book.

But this is such a benign adjustment, going by feel will get you in the ballpark and won't degrade performance any. This is what you can do:

Go to test mode. Select narrow for adjustment type. Remove antenna coax from radio.

Go to squelch open. Run the slider up in value until the radio closes squelch. Stop and then
run the slider down to the point where it just opens squelch consistently. Stop and press"OK"
to accept value and exit.

Go to squelch tight. This is a SWAG, so set the value to around 225 to 235. That would be
common on most radios. Press "OK" to accept value and then exit test mode. Reconnect antenna coax.

Run a test to make sure you can still receive. If you have a button for squelch level, test that. Level zero should be open squelch and it should close squelch on level one or at the most level two. Run the radio and see how it all works.

Last edited:

jaolson101

Thanks. I will give that a try.

Haven't had a problem with scan, but would try adjusting squelch narrow to see if it helps. I have seen many 790s with squelch problems or downright no receive (unless monitor is pressed) after channels have been switched to narrow band.

The settings of both squelch tight and squelch open in the test section should be done with a calibrated signal generator IF you want to go exactly by the book.

But this is such a benign adjustment, going by feel will get you in the ballpark and won't degrade performance any. This is what you can do:

Go to test mode. Select narrow for adjustment type. Remove antenna coax from radio.

Go to squelch open. Run the slider up in value until the radio closes squelch. Stop and then
run the slider down to the point where it just opens squelch consistently. Stop and press"OK"
to accept value and exit.

Go to squelch tight. This is a SWAG, so set the value to around 225 to 235. That would be
common on most radios. Press "OK" to accept value and then exit test mode. Reconnect antenna coax.

Run a test to make sure you can still receive. If you have a button for squelch level, test that. Level zero should be open squelch and it should close squelch on level one or at the most level two. Run the radio and see how it all works.

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
This was a common issue with many of the Kenwoods when switched to narrowband mode. The squelch could be reset using the tuning menu but several I came across had to be put on the service monitor and realigned in order for them to scan narrow band channels. PrImarily I saw it with the TK-780's.

Status
Not open for further replies.