RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 4:46 AM

Default TK-790H - squelch after narrowband

I have a kenwood TK-790H that I purchased used. Using it for Baja race communications, most channels are in the 150 and 151 MHz band. I also have it programmed for some lower 2 meter frequencies (I am licensed for ham). Some of which are simplex and some are repeaters. With all channels set to wide it works great.

All of the Baja guys have gone to narrow band as per FCC. I wanted to make my first 16 channels narrow and the ham ones wide.

When I program any channel on narrow, I get non stop static (squelch) on that channel.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance!

--john
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2014, 10:58 AM

I have also noticed that some radios when having both wide and narrow frequencys have some sequelch problems.

Sounds like you need to use a FM service monitor and check the alignment settings to inculde sequelch settings.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Are your commercial channels PL or DPL guarded? You are going to have to go into test mode in the KPG-44D software, set it to narrow, and tighten the squelch. When i narrowbanded alot of TK-790's for the fire service, i had to tighten the squelch for that issue.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I haven't experienced the squelch issue, however I am unable to get any of the NB channels to function within a scan list. The radio scans, it just will not stop and open when there is traffic on those channels. I reprogrammed a mirrored group resetting them to WB configuration and the scan works just fine. Anyone else encountered this?
Old 06-18-2014, 9:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaolson101 View Post
I haven't experienced the squelch issue, however I am unable to get any of the NB channels to function within a scan list. The radio scans, it just will not stop and open when there is traffic on those channels. I reprogrammed a mirrored group resetting them to WB configuration and the scan works just fine. Anyone else encountered this?
Haven't had a problem with scan, but would try adjusting squelch narrow to see if it helps. I have seen many 790s with squelch problems or downright no receive (unless monitor is pressed) after channels have been switched to narrow band.

The settings of both squelch tight and squelch open in the test section should be done with a calibrated signal generator IF you want to go exactly by the book.

But this is such a benign adjustment, going by feel will get you in the ballpark and won't degrade performance any. This is what you can do:

Go to test mode. Select narrow for adjustment type. Remove antenna coax from radio.

Go to squelch open. Run the slider up in value until the radio closes squelch. Stop and then
run the slider down to the point where it just opens squelch consistently. Stop and press"OK"
to accept value and exit.

Go to squelch tight. This is a SWAG, so set the value to around 225 to 235. That would be
common on most radios. Press "OK" to accept value and then exit test mode. Reconnect antenna coax.

Run a test to make sure you can still receive. If you have a button for squelch level, test that. Level zero should be open squelch and it should close squelch on level one or at the most level two. Run the radio and see how it all works.

Last edited by ramal121; 06-18-2014 at 9:56 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks. I will give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramal121 View Post
Haven't had a problem with scan, but would try adjusting squelch narrow to see if it helps. I have seen many 790s with squelch problems or downright no receive (unless monitor is pressed) after channels have been switched to narrow band.

The settings of both squelch tight and squelch open in the test section should be done with a calibrated signal generator IF you want to go exactly by the book.

But this is such a benign adjustment, going by feel will get you in the ballpark and won't degrade performance any. This is what you can do:

Go to test mode. Select narrow for adjustment type. Remove antenna coax from radio.

Go to squelch open. Run the slider up in value until the radio closes squelch. Stop and then
run the slider down to the point where it just opens squelch consistently. Stop and press"OK"
to accept value and exit.

Go to squelch tight. This is a SWAG, so set the value to around 225 to 235. That would be
common on most radios. Press "OK" to accept value and then exit test mode. Reconnect antenna coax.

Run a test to make sure you can still receive. If you have a button for squelch level, test that. Level zero should be open squelch and it should close squelch on level one or at the most level two. Run the radio and see how it all works.
Old 08-05-2014, 9:17 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Here's a great little video I found on YouTube. It works just as described.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16zh85wNi8U
Old 08-07-2014, 8:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This was a common issue with many of the Kenwoods when switched to narrowband mode. The squelch could be reset using the tuning menu but several I came across had to be put on the service monitor and realigned in order for them to scan narrow band channels. PrImarily I saw it with the TK-780's.