RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Kenwood TK-5310 question

Hello everyone. I have a Kenwood TK-5310. Does anyone else own on of these radios. I have some questions about the radio. I have a Kenwood kmc52w microphone with this radio and noticed that the audio quality is hard to hear and the quality isn't the best. Had anyone else had this problem. Another problem I noticed is the reception on the radio. I have the standard KRA-27m uhf antenna with the radio. I have the squelch setting to preset of 5. The p25 side of the radio comes in clear and with no problem. It seems to happen on the analog side, it might be the county I live in. Not sure. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks
Cody
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2014, 12:13 PM

I've got the 5210 (VHF) and the 5410 (7-800MHz). I'm using the KMC-41 and KMC-47 mics with them. Haven't had any audio issues. In fact, I loaned one to our PD to trial, and they really preferred the audio compared to their Motorola XTS-2500's.

As for your audio quality, sounds like you are talking about the received audio quality as heard through the speaker microphone.
-How does it sound using the radio speaker (disconnect the speaker mic)?
-What is your analog channel bandwidth set to? The agencies you are listening to should be narrow band. If your radio is set to wide, audio quality will suffer.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I will have to try the kmc-47 microphone. When I unhook the microphone the audio great. No problems at all. My county uses 453mhz frequencies. They are narrow banded. I have the bandwidth set to 12.5khz.
Old 07-11-2014, 1:21 PM

As for the signal quality on RX, make sure you keep the microphone cord well away from the radio antenna. Often I'll see officers with the mic cord wrapped around the antenna. This affects performance.

P25, being digital, might sound better since it has error correction. Usually the audio doesn't get bad until you are really on the fringes. Analog, however, will gradually decline. Sounds like this is what you are experiencing.
Old 07-11-2014, 1:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok great. Thank you for the information.
Sponsored links