• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Transmit Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I viewed the video to see what you were looking to do. The radio in the video is a x180 series radio. The "beep" you are wanting to replicate is a PTT Proceed Tone. This tone is mainly used when the BOT ID is used to alert the user that the ID has gone thru and it is clear to transmit. In looking thru the KPG-56D options for the TK-862G, I'm not seeing any options for the tone. There is no way to replicate the transmit tone in the 862G to my knowledge.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
That tone is used when theres MDC-1200, Fleetsync, or Selcal in use. The TK-862's did not have those features, rather DTMF ID.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I viewed the video to see what you were looking to do. The radio in the video is a x180 series radio. The "beep" you are wanting to replicate is a PTT Proceed Tone. This tone is mainly used when the BOT ID is used to alert the user that the ID has gone thru and it is clear to transmit. In looking thru the KPG-56D options for the TK-862G, I'm not seeing any options for the tone. There is no way to replicate the transmit tone in the 862G to my knowledge.

In the TK-8180 edit, Optional Features, Conventional tab.

Bottom left side of the screen you can set PTT Proceed Tone, and delay in ms. You do not need to have any signalling set up.

I use it on my NX-700 and TK-8180 to ensure the linked repeater systems that I use are keyed before I start talking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rapidcharger

Actually the tone in the video (around mark 1:10) is not the proceed tone. It is the PTT-ID sidetone and it does require PTT ID on the BOT in order to hear it. In one of those menus there is an option for PTTid SIDETONE. Enable it and enable PTT-ID. It sounds like it is already in use as I heard some fleetsync early on in the vid.

And yes, if your volume is turned up loud enough, that sidetone will get into the mic go out over the air for others to enjoy. You hear it a lot in echo-ey vehicles like buses and so on.

The Proceed tone on those is just a very brief single beep. The PTT-ID sidetone is a tri-tone of varying frequencies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Actually the tone in the video (around mark 1:10) is not the proceed tone. It is the PTT-ID sidetone and it does require PTT ID on the BOT in order to hear it. In one of those menus there is an option for PTTid SIDETONE. Enable it and enable PTT-ID. It sounds like it is already in use as I heard some fleetsync early on in the vid.

And yes, if your volume is turned up loud enough, that sidetone will get into the mic go out over the air for others to enjoy. You hear it a lot in echo-ey vehicles like buses and so on.

The Proceed tone on those is just a very brief single beep. The PTT-ID sidetone is a tri-tone of varying frequencies.

You are correct. My bad, my NX-200 does a triple beep. I think the NX-700 does as well for the PTTPT. Later last night I had the Tk-8180 on the bench and keyed up and only had the short single tone.

Thankfully the PTTPT on the NX-2/700 does not go over the air in my set-up, but I could see where it would be possible in a poor acoustical situation.

rapidcharger

Thankfully the PTTPT on the NX-2/700 does not go over the air in my set-up, but I could see where it would be possible in a poor acoustical situation.

I've wondered if they would "fix" that with the newer radios but I don't really see how they could unless there was some extra noise cancelling. But even in MotoTRBO where there is superb noise cancelling, the talk permit chirp occasionally gets through if the volume is cranked up. Are you using in digital or analog?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I've wondered if they would "fix" that with the newer radios but I don't really see how they could unless there was some extra noise cancelling. But even in MotoTRBO where there is super noise cancelling, the talk permit chirp occasionally gets through if the volume is cranked up. Are you using in digital or analog?

Analogue. Now that I have a NX-200 I was playing a little bit with both narrow and very narrow NXDN on simplex. While it is not at the edge, signal strength wise, I find the audio very decent in both NXDN modes.

I regularly use 3 linked repeater systems. The PTTPT ensures that the network has time to key the satellite repeaters before the mic goes live. In my unscientific testing the NX-2/700 and the TK-8180 the mic does not go live until after the tones finish.

kenwoodgeek

I see, thanks for that info. As rapidcharger said, when I'm listening I can hear those transmit and receive tones every now and then over the air.

rapidcharger

I see, thanks for that info. As rapidcharger said, when I'm listening I can hear those transmit and receive tones every now and then over the air.

That's because it depends on the volume of their radio. You'll hear it better when they've got the volume turned up. When their volume is turned down, you'll just hear the fleetsync which is the brief data burst.

And I missed the part in your original message about having an 862g. I'm not familiar with their signaling. I thought you had an 8180.

And no, haha, I wish I did though. Defiantly a radio I might consider in the future.

It's definitely a radio to consider. I have had both the vhf portable and mobile x180. You can't beat them. Aside from the lack of FPP option in the programming without the Tactical Feature Set (which is a serial number defined firmware upgrade), they're awesome radios!!!

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It's definitely a radio to consider. I have had both the vhf portable and mobile x180. You can't beat them. Aside from the lack of FPP option in the programming without the Tactical Feature Set (which is a serial number defined firmware upgrade), they're awesome radios!!!

I will second that. I only have the TK-8180, but it is a great radio. One other missing feature not mentioned about the mobile, the lack of a power output toggle between high and low power. Other than that, it has a good display, 12 character channel labelling. The audio output is pretty good. The scan function is very flexible, much more so than most other manufacturers. All buttons, except for power are freely assignable, and can have two functions assigned. If you need it it also has MDC-1200, BUT only one ID, you are SOL if you need multiple MDC-1200 ID's. The TK-x180 mobiles also is able to be converted from dash mount to remote mount.

I will take the Kenwood NX-x00/TK-x180 series over almost any other out there... Unless I need DMR... They really are fantastic radios.

kenwoodgeek

Alright, thanks for the advice! They are very nice radios. My bus driver's bus has an 8180, and I have been on several other buses that have the new Nexedge radios, and those ones are super nice. The only problem I might have with it is that I believe the 8180 only gets 450-490 MHz, and all my local amateur repeaters operate on the 442 to 444 MHz range, so even after I get my license, all I could do is scan with it, just like I'm doing with my 862 now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b69ZXCMl30

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Alright, thanks for the advice! They are very nice radios. My bus driver's bus has an 8180, and I have been on several other buses that have the new Nexedge radios, and those ones are super nice. The only problem I might have with it is that I believe the 8180 only gets 450-490 MHz, and all my local amateur repeaters operate on the 442 to 444 MHz range, so even after I get my license, all I could do is scan with it, just like I'm doing with my 862 now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b69ZXCMl30

The TK-862 came in three UHF a ranges, a 403-430MHz, 450-490MHz and 490-520MHz. I do know that portables of that vintage would drop down to atleast 440, I have a TK-380 that goes down to 440 no problem, so the TK-862 may go down as far as you need it to for ham work.

The TK-8180 comes in two UHF ranges. The K band is 450-520MHz and the K2 is 400-470MHz

Look for a TK-8180-K2 as the model number, (TK-8180H-K2 for a 45w version) and you will have full band coverage from 400-470MHz.

Because I have a K2 I can not comment as to how far, if at all, a TK-8180-K will go out of band.

FYI the TK-8180 model breakdown is as follows. If you look at the heat sink on the radio, the model number will tell you what band split and max power output is. A low power mobile is 5-25w and a high power one is 10-45w.

TK-8180-K= 25w 450-520MHz
TK-8180H-K= 45w 450-520MHz
TK-8180-K2= 25w 400-470MHz
TK-8180H-K2= 45w 400-470MHz

kenwoodgeek

I see, that is very helpful information, thank you. I do have a question, though relating to the output watts. I'm pretty much brand new to radios, so I don't fully understand the wattage part. I know that it's amount of power that the radio puts out, so does that affect the range? And what kind of range would I be looking at if I was to purchase the 25w version rather than the 45w version?

I'd have to get my ham license first, and then I would probably only talk on repeaters in my county. Would 25 watts be able to handle those that are, say, a few towns over from me?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I see, that is very helpful information, thank you. I do have a question, though relating to the output watts. I'm pretty much brand new to radios, so I don't fully understand the wattage part. I know that it's amount of power that the radio puts out, so does that affect the range? And what kind of range would I be looking at if I was to purchase the 25w version rather than the 45w version?

I'd have to get my ham license first, and then I would probably only talk on repeaters in my county. Would 25 watts be able to handle those that are, say, a few towns over from me?

Well 25w to 45w is less than 3db increase in power output, so no, the range difference will not really be that great. To answer your question, as to how far you will be able to talk, I can't give you an answer. There are FAR too many variables to be able to give you an even remotely close answer.

In my experience, I use my TM-V71A at 10w most of the time. Because I was given the TK-8180, and It was a high power version, I had no choice. If I were going out to buy one I would have gotten the low power version.

What I have found with this radio, is that it generates ALOT of heat when talking for even short periods of time, never mind a long conversation.

kenwoodgeek

Alright, well that's alright. If I find my self myself buying one, I think I'll get the lower power version. For now, I'll try what you said and see if I can get the 862 to go down to 444 MHz. Thanks again for the advice.

Even though the range says 450 -490, you should be able to drop to 440 with no problem. My county Public Safety is vhf, so I have more VHF radios than UHF. Even on my TK-280, I can drop down to 144. The software warns me it is out of range, but doesn't reject it in the programming. That is something that you would have to play with the software and see if it totally rejects it or just warns you.

Status
Not open for further replies.