• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

brmeisterh

Hello All:

I was earlier today thinking about a Motorola radio, but then someone told me that they are very expensive even on ebay and basically require CPS to function. Would the NX-5200 be a good choice for a under $1000 digital/analog/ham investment? I am very new to the land mobile radio system, and trying to navigate my way through this. BTW is a $735 for the radio alone (brand new) a good offer?

Thanks
KK6EZJ

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hello All:

I was earlier today thinking about a Motorola radio, but then someone told me that they are very expensive even on ebay and basically require CPS to function. Would the NX-5200 be a good choice for a under $1000 digital/analog/ham investment? I am very new to the land mobile radio system, and trying to navigate my way through this. BTW is a $735 for the radio alone (brand new) a good offer?

Thanks

KK6EZJ

Likely not a good option if you can not afford Motorola software. The NX5x00 series software is very locked down. You MUST get it from Kenwood, and it requires an Internet connection to activate it. All options are license keys that require authentication. As well the software is locked to one computer only.

If you are looking at the NX5x00 series, also look at the NX-200 or NX-210 pretty reasonable on the secondary market price wise and the software is not nearly restricted as the NX-5x00 series.

I own a NX-200 and really like it. It is my go to VHF radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What digital modes are you looking for? If you -need- P25 and NXDN, then it's really the only radio out there that will do both. DMR will likely be added later on this year as a software update.
A bare NX-5200 will come with analog and NXDN out of the box. P25 is an additional cost key. DMR will likely be the same.
Purchasing that radio with P25 is going to put you over $1000.

If you just need NXDN, there are lots of options. Like kay1n1 said, the NX-200, NX-210, NX-220 are all good options. I set our PD up with about 40 of the NX-210's since everyone in the county is running VHF analog, and they've worked out very well. They really liked the improved audio quality compared to their old XTS-2500's.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
BTW is a $735 for the radio alone (brand new) a good offer?

Depends on exactly what you are getting for that price.
List price on a new NX-5200K3 with full keypad is $875. That include analog, NXDN and Type-C NXDN (NexEdge) trunking ONLY. It does not include P25 activation keys. It does not include battery, charger or antenna in that basic package. You'd need to order those separately.

P25 conventional key is $575 list price.
VHF antenna is $14 list.
Lithium Ion battery is $115 list.
KSC-32 charger is $70 list.
KPG-1DN software is $155 list.
KPG-36XM USB cable is $158.50 list

Should not be hard to get 20% off list. State contracts are usually 30% off list (or so).

The NX-5000 line are really nice radios, and would make a great amateur radio if you set it up with the FPP option ($300 list) It'll likely do everything you need if you build it out right. By next year, the DMR software should be out, so that would make it that much more attractive.

But, if all you need is a basic VHF radio, you can save a lot of money. If you just need analog and P25, there are other options, TK-5220, TK-5210, etc.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Likely not a good option if you can not afford Motorola software. The NX5x00 series software is very locked down. You MUST get it from Kenwood, and it requires an Internet connection to activate it. All options are license keys that require authentication. As well the software is locked to one computer only.

If you are looking at the NX5x00 series, also look at the NX-200 or NX-210 pretty reasonable on the secondary market price wise and the software is not nearly restricted as the NX-5x00 series.

I own a NX-200 and really like it. It is my go to VHF radio.

Internet needed if your activating options. Not needed if your just getting a basic NX-5200.

There are several users here in this forum who have gotten radios from me, thou I am like Mckenna,
I will give you list price out, but I too give ham friendly pricing.
Like it was asked, what are you looking for in the way of the radio to do? DMR is due out for forthcoming.

Also the NX-5000 series is not a-la-carte, you pick and choose what you want to go with the Radio.

Also, if you get options for the radio, you can also retract them from the radio if you buy another (newer)
radio or change up from standard to keypad, and sell the other without no options.

EFM

Status
Not open for further replies.