RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Kenwood Forum

Kenwood Forum For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood. This is to include the TK(R) and NX(R) series radios and their associated accessories. This forum is not for the TM series; use Amateur Radio Equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 PM

Any of you 5210 users have issues with the top knobs being loose or having a lot of "play" to them? We have a couple of these radios and for the most part the radio is very solid but the top channel knob feels cheap like its gonna fall off any day now.
Sponsored links

Old 11-30-2009, 9:36 PM

Bump!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM

Not a large scale deployment, but we have 24 in-service (Fire Department) for almost 4 years. No knob problems and only 1 failure (run over). I haven't heard of loose knobs either from area users.

The Service Manual describes this tool:

"In order to turn the volume nut and the channel selector nut, use a recommendation tool.
KENWOOD part : W05-1123-00"

Looks like a mini X-style lug-wrench.

/Jeff
Old 12-16-2009, 7:57 PM

thanks for the reply. i have taken the liberty of just ordering a new knob,

Otherwise i like the radio. ton of features. is a little odd though that such a full featured radio has the top knob limited to 16 channels instead of just having a continuous knob. (like on the 2180).
Old 12-19-2009, 9:41 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default ...

Whats the deal with the incredibly long start up "Self Test"?? Kind of annoying seeing as Moto takes all of a 1/2 second.
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2010, 2:49 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Mdc

Will the TK-5210 do MDC1200 Signalling straight from the radio?

I see it on the brochure but have not got anytype of confirmation.

Thank you.
Kenwood TK-5220 (P25 Portable)
Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default ...

Yes. The TK-5210 will do MDC1200 signalling assuming you have the latest firmware and FPU.

David
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up kenwood TK-5310

I just got Kenwood TK-5310 I love it I also have a motorola xts-3000 1-10 the kenwood is a 10
my kenwood is cut high 450-480 I NEED HELP IS THERE A BACKDOOR SO I CAN FIELD PROGRAM
AND STORE LOWER BAND
PL'S HELP ANYONE
W9NDU@AOL.COM
Old 03-11-2010, 1:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default sorry ms-type

the cut is 450- 520 ooking for way to prog.ham bands from Keypad
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Has anyone tried/succeeded in loading in all 512 advertised personalities in this radio? I tried loading in the 2009 CalFire plan, consisting of about 25 zones with 16 to 20 personalities each, some redundant, and shared between zones. Once I got to 250 personalities, the radio would take no more data, reporting that it was full. Tech support said that once the radio runs out of memory, that it is full, even if that means less than 512 personalities. I didn't even program in scan groups yet. Just PLs and alphatags.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm looking at getting one of these, I assume I can put in TX/RX NAC codes and it'll do fine?
Old 04-01-2010, 5:21 PM

My experience is with the VHF Conventional and the answer is yes.

/Jeff
Old 04-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Just a footnote.....I have been doing some research and it seems that we are all going to be required to get on of these monsters....read this:
The BK handhelds are a favorite of the US Forest Service and the people that work with them. The USFS has recently changed the technical requirements, and this email clarifies the situation that affects a lot of folks:

> From: A. Nony Mous
> To: repeater-builder BK page
> Subject: You might want to post this email on the BK page...
Users of BK radios who coordinate with the USFS or BLM should be aware that wideband radios are no longer acceptable for use by wildland firefighting contractors. This means all LPH, EPH and EMH radios will not be usable in USFS operations !!! On top of that, USFS Region 6 which covers California and Washington state is also planning to begin making the switch to P25 digital in 2009.

Testing of the P25 digital mode continues. Results are very favorable for portable radios wherein tests showed the P25 mode more readable all up until the point where the signal became noisy in the analog radio and then the P25 signal was completely lost. It was also found that P25 in mobile applications was very intolerant to "motorboating" caused by multipath reflections and during mobile radio testing, analog rated superior to P25 digital. Based upon these tests, P25 digital may require a repeater infrastructure so that signal levels can remain high and multipath interference can be minimized. The most common comment about P25 is that it either works or it doesn't with little or no warning between the two conditions.

The FCC is also now assigning new analog VHF frequencies in California and elsewhere that require radios capable of operating on a 6.25 KHz channel spacing. Only GPH, DPH and DPHX portables and GMH and DMH mobiles are capable of operating on 6.25 KHz channel spacing assignments. Older LPH, EPH and EMH radios are only capable of operating on channels down to 12.5 KHz channel spacing.

Does Kenwood have any other models that would comply? I am looking at the cheapest of course that I can get away with.

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-03-2010, 3:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default kenwood 5310

well tell if like my email is w9ndu@aol.com
Old 04-03-2010, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireknight97523 View Post
The FCC is also now assigning new analog VHF frequencies in California and elsewhere that require radios capable of operating on a 6.25 KHz channel spacing. Only GPH, DPH and DPHX portables and GMH and DMH mobiles are capable of operating on 6.25 KHz channel spacing assignments. Older LPH, EPH and EMH radios are only capable of operating on channels down to 12.5 KHz channel spacing.

Do you have a link or something to clarify this? I've heard of zero 6.25KHz spacing analog radios even considered to be manufactured.
And forgive my ignorance, but what are GPH, DPH, DPHX etc. mobiles?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 5:02 PM

I have tried to attach a pdf on some regs I have found, the model radios I refer to a Bendix Kings
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fcc_7-5_kHz_narrowband_issues.pdf (23.9 KB, 128 views)
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbski View Post
Any of you 5210 users have issues with the top knobs being loose or having a lot of "play" to them? We have a couple of these radios and for the most part the radio is very solid but the top channel knob feels cheap like its gonna fall off any day now.
Pull the knobs off and tighten the nut around each stanchion.
Old 06-16-2010, 4:52 PM

Kenwood TK-5*10 radios can do RX AGC in P25 mode? I don't see any mentions about AGC in help and FPU 5.41. Looks like they can NOT.
Old 08-17-2010, 9:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just to spice up the thread a little more, Kenwood has out now a 700/800 TK-5410 (port) and TK-5910 (mobile) that will follow APCO P25 CAI systems.... Talk about cut throat doings, if this is the case,
you can get Kenwood's for your million dollar system at the cost of 2 for 1 against a batwinger...

upto $3500.00 for the batwing
$1200 for kenwood? FULL FEATURED

Why are we spending so much tax payer money for a name plate???

Good luck and happy replacing! Look to intercity agencies to go Kenwood
and let the big boys play with the toys...and still talk BETTER then the Batwings.
Old 08-18-2010, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScannerDude244 View Post
My county bought 700 TK-5210's for all the fire departments in the county so far they love them!
If only they bought enough mobiles for the "little cities"...