RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Literature

Literature - Salinger, Thoreau, Stephen King...and yes, you can safely admit you read the whole Harry Potter series. You're still welcome here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 7:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just finished reading "Flashman and the Angel of the Lord," by George MacDonald Fraser, for the second time. It's from a series of books known as "The Flashman Papers." Very funny reading, but also great historical fiction and a history lesson, as well.

FT-897 | FT-857D | VX-6R | DR-235T MkIII | KG-UV5D | TH-UVF9 | PRO-651
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2016, 7:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default James Grady - "Condor" Series

Has anyone read the two (fairly) recent stories by James Grady? He is the author of _Six Days of the Condor_, from which th film "Three Days of the Condor" was taken. I believe there is a new novel & also a short story, one is Next Day of the Condor & the other is Last Days...

i read the short story & would be interested in the opinions of other readers...
Old 05-04-2016, 7:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Christopher John Boyce - The Falcon

I'd also be interested in comments from anyone who has read AMERICAN SONS: THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE FALCON AND THE SNOWMAN by Christopher Boyce. Sorry about the all caps, it was a cut & paste.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have just received a paperback titled "American Conspiracies" loaned to me by my USMC neighbor - we swap books (usually of the military genre) - to keep our conversation to something other than his combat stories and my search and rescue exploits. I'm not a conspiracy theory type of guy usually, but I thought"what the heck"!

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what is being put out as the opinion of the author and his collaborator on lies, lies, and more lies the government is feeding us. This book is by Jesse Ventura (Governor of Minnesota '99 - '03, professional wrestling champion, Navy Seal, movie actor, television host and producer, visiting fellow at Harvard Kennedy School of Government and New York Times best-selling author of five books) Jeez, this chap has been there and done it! His collaborator is Dick Russell (an award winning author the back cover tells me) but I don't know what of!

Some of the conspiracies to be dealt with are:
The assassinations of Lincoln, JFK, Malcolm X, RFK, Martin Luther King Jr., The Jonestown Massacre, The Gulf Oil Spill, Lyme Disease, 9/11/2001, the Wall Street conspiracy, Watergate, the elections of 2000, 2004, and 2008. There are several other topics in the list of contents but those I've listed are most interesting to me and I am looking forward to getting into it.

More to come!

Russell (+_+)

Sent from my D2-961G using Tapatalk

BCD436HP HP-1 BCD396T BCT-7 BC350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A YAESU FTM3200DR FT70DR
Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm currently reading "The Discoverers" by Daniel Boorstin. Fascinating stuff.

FT-897 | FT-857D | VX-6R | DR-235T MkIII | KG-UV5D | TH-UVF9 | PRO-651
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2016, 6:46 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've just finished reading "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen who was a member of Seal Team Six and one of the teams that raided the compound of Osama bin Laden and others of his family that lived there.

It was a very good read and kept me turning pages to keep up with the action. The book starts with the author's early years growing up in Alaska and while in high school reading a book about the Navy Seals, then deciding that's what he wants to do after graduation. Then we follow him through his training, earning his coveted Seal badge and moving from one deployment after another until he gets to join others in the biggest mission. The mission they trained for over a long period of time and was probably the ultimate mission of his career.

Another mission he was a part of was the rescue of captain Richard Phillips and the crew of the freighter Maersk Alabama which was attacked by pirates off the coast of Africa in April 2009.

Another good book in the military genre, and I enjoyed it very much.

Russell

BCD436HP HP-1 BCD396T BCT-7 BC350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A YAESU FTM3200DR FT70DR
Old 08-09-2018, 5:53 AM

I started reading The Black House by Peter May. It is a crime fiction novel.
Old 08-30-2018, 5:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. 1/2 way thru Very interesting read.
Old 10-18-2018, 1:56 AM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

Reading the Secret Sentry and I have finished Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life.

I have the Sun Tzu audio book on my phone and been listing to that. Looking back at some of the wars we've been in, I don't think we've used some of those tactics described like we should have. Like deception. In WWII we did when we convinced Hitler we weren't going into Normandy. But since then, and from what I heard in the book, we've taken a different approach.

I don't know if Sun Tzu mentions holding conquered ground as I've not got that far in the book yet. But this would be a wise thing to consider. Especially when we left towns in Iraq and insurgents ran right back in there.

This Sig may or may not get purged from the database...
Old 10-25-2018, 9:42 AM

Just finished reading Zero day and Trojan Horse in the Jeff Aiken series. I still have Rogue Code, the last book in the series, to read. The books were written by Mark Russinovich. Mark, way back in the day, developed the Windows Sysinternals tools and now works for Microsoft. The books are set in modern day where the protagonist defends the country against cyber terrorists. If you're into that kind of thing, they're a good read.

Tags
those things with pages, tree killers unite