Radio archives are no longer free, what the crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighter4christ

Premium Subscriber
Why is it when scan america had this service they provided archived radio traffic for free now since Radio Reference LLC took over it must be paid for? I work with the fire department and was able to pull up radio traffic from emergency runs for free to use as a teaching tool at the fire station for training purposes. I know there is a cost associated with the website, but that is what advertising is for "that little banner I am seeing at the top right of my screen". The public airwaves are free, this is no different than the government trying to tax the use of free airwaves. I can get the radio traffic for free from our communications center so why would I pay you all. It was just so much easier and more convienent after a fire to come into the office and pull up scan america and critique the fire. I will no longer visit your site so you will be able to get the webhits for advertising purposes either. Good luck with your venture and If Scan America ever gets back control of this service please let me know, because they provided a great tool for the fire service and you all do not. Take care and goodbye!!!!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Is nobody allowed to run a business anymore?

Lindsay, How dare you attempt to profit from a business that you paid for! :roll:

Would you purchase something just to give it away? I see no indication that Radioreference LLC is a non profit organization.

lol....

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
Why is it when scan america had this service they provided archived radio traffic for free now since Radio Reference LLC took over it must be paid for? I work with the fire department and was able to pull up radio traffic from emergency runs for free to use as a teaching tool at the fire station for training purposes. I know there is a cost associated with the website, but that is what advertising is for "that little banner I am seeing at the top right of my screen". The public airwaves are free, this is no different than the government trying to tax the use of free airwaves. I can get the radio traffic for free from our communications center so why would I pay you all. It was just so much easier and more convienent after a fire to come into the office and pull up scan america and critique the fire. I will no longer visit your site so you will be able to get the webhits for advertising purposes either. Good luck with your venture and If Scan America ever gets back control of this service please let me know, because they provided a great tool for the fire service and you all do not. Take care and goodbye!!!!

You do realize that the data storage alone was costing Gordon$$$, plus he was having to pay over $1000 a month on bandwidth costs. Advertising does bring in money, but probably not quite enough to cover all the costs.

Not only that, but after the merger Gordon and Lindsay both stated the archives would be for Premium memberships/Free for Feed Providers, so this shouldn't be a shock.

I really have to wonder if Scanamerica would be here at all right now if it wasn't for Lindsay.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I see this is the VERY FIRST POST of the person complaing. Gee, can't you at least CONTRIBUTE to this site? Is the only reason you were/are here is to TAKE stuff for free? Geez.

SCPD

QRT
You are paying for the bandwidth used when downloading the files. You can freely record the audio you are interested in to a computer from RR while it is being broadcast, check out WINAMP. The days of the free Internet are coming to an end now that all the freebies sites have gone bankrupt or shutdown. If Lindsay wants to keep this site running he will need paying subscribers. A lot of the software and hardware is not free.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,490

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I don't see how this thread is related to the database forum, moving to the audio forum.

Thanks

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

Seriously? If you want to use your fire department's radio traffic for a training review, perhaps you ought to go and request the tapes from you comm center. Otherwise, pay the fee for the bandwidth and server space you would be using from this operation.

brandon

Database Admin
Hello. You can provide a feed for your fire dept or other agency and you will be able to download the archives. I hope this helps.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I thought everyone loved capitalism?

they do, as long as their on the profit side of it :twisted:

And the 1st post should have left his name and address so we can let him know if anything here changes lol

kotaguchi

Premium Subscriber
First post impression:FAIL.

Not even a premium member and got the nerve to complain...

This is not a Government run website.Its a privately owned site..

K5RYA

Seriously, its 15 freaking dollars and by far and again is well worth it 10x over. If your THAT worried about contributing to a site which does immense good for our community then why don't you setup a feed for your local FD, then you will have a FREE premium account. Do you even realize how much it costs to serve and archive all these feeds, your looking at enormous bandwidth and data storage costs, requiring a premium membership to view the archives sounds like a fine idea to me, hell the feeds themselves are still free, why don't you use a stream recording app and archive the feed yourself?

/rant

Thank you RR for making this site great, and please ignore the whiners like the OP above.

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Bandwith: $1500/month and rising
Adding storage capacity for feed archives: $200-500/month
Recovery of costs: 75-80%

Watching someone have a meltdown because something isn't FREE that they could get from their Comm Center?: PRICELESS

I think I'll call ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX to complain that I have to PAY to watch their shows on line, when I can just watch them over the "free" airwaves.

Dubbin

Feed Provider

Don't let the door hit ya...

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
I thought everyone loved capitalism?

Actually, if you read my poll in politics, you would learn alot of the people here are leaning right, or independent. The people here actually have a brain and think for themselves, comes with the technical mind, thinking and observing, not listening to what everyone else says as if they are God himself.

Lindsay, How dare you attempt to profit from a business that you paid for! :roll:

I feel guilty sometimes using the DB, because it's so amazing and I don't have a subscription. lol

I am glad he got that out of his system - he probably would have burst if he had held it in.

haha, im glad you got first post... what an excellent come back.

Hello. You can provide a feed for your fire dept or other agency and you will be able to download the archives. I hope this helps.

HAHA. Indeed.

First post impression:FAIL.

Not even a premium member and got the nerve to complain...

All this over $15.... Imagine how much change(coins) he could have found scattered in his house in the time it took to type all that....

Hey Lindsay, great site. You have dominated the industry you are in. Keep it up.... and while I wish everything was free, you deserve to take the profit you do... I just ordered my 396XT and it will be here late next week, and I will be getting the premium membership. Thanks to everyone that contributes.

Last edited:

scnnr

Well about all one can say about this fella is.

Attachments

• 780920wevc3spomh.gif
    780920wevc3spomh.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,203

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Giving firefighters a bad name. /sigh

Not really, if you think firefighters are bad people or even start to think that because of one being ignorant or pissy, then *you* should also be quiet and turn the other way. If thats the way a person thinks, it's like saying all goths are serial killers and are satanists. lol

scnnr

Not really, if you think firefighters are bad people or even start to think that because of one being ignorant or pissy, then *you* should also be quiet and turn the other way. If thats the way a person thinks, it's like saying all goths are serial killers and are satanists. lol

I checked firefighter4christ's profile about 15 minutes ago before it was edited. It said he was a retired Mechanical Engineer. Now that part of profile don't seem to be there. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.