RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on Broadcastify.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 AM

Angry Edgerift Emergency Radio

Was just looking through Itunes app store and saw the Emergency Radio App and sure enough they are using radio reference's feeds, maybe its just me but does it tick anyone else off that a third party is making money off something I (we) provide? Hopefully RR is getting a cut from the sales...admin? If not my feed may be coming down.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2009, 3:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyjaco View Post
Was just looking through Itunes app store and saw the Emergency Radio App and sure enough they are using radio reference's feeds, maybe its just me but does it tick anyone else off that a third party is making money off something I (we) provide? Hopefully RR is getting a cut from the sales...admin? If not my feed may be coming down.
very interesting...Steve Jobs must be feeling better
Old 09-10-2009, 3:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

They aren't making money off of something we provide. They're making money off of a client that, for free, accesses something we provide. Demanding that they give money to RR would be like demanding that Winamp give RR a cut of all of its sales of Winamp Pro because some people will be using it to listen to our live feeds.
Old 09-10-2009, 3:58 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I am not losing any sleep over it. I have 5 feeds that are primarily for my personal use, as in to enable further reception than my antennas allow... It's just that as a bonus, the public gets to listen as well
Old 09-10-2009, 5:07 PM
Database Admin

If I remember correctly, Lindsay posted on the "livescanneraudio" yahoo group that RR is working on a license fee for these 3rd party apps that charge money to download. I don't have a status update on it but I know Lindsay was working on it.

Jason
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2009, 6:10 PM
Founder and CEO
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Edgerift is a valued partner of RadioReference, and has a license agreement in place to have real time access to the API that provides the audio feed catalog.
Old 09-11-2009, 9:17 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibagli View Post
They aren't making money off of something we provide. They're making money off of a client that, for free, accesses something we provide. Demanding that they give money to RR would be like demanding that Winamp give RR a cut of all of its sales of Winamp Pro because some people will be using it to listen to our live feeds.
I have a better analogy...

I wonder if it ticks people off that Dell, HP, Microsoft, or any other computer maker/softerware designer are making money off of RR because they (the above computer/software designers) charge for the very same computers/software for people to listen to our feeds.

Emergency Radio and BBScanner are no different. They are charging for an application. Not a monthly fee, but a modest one time fee for the hard work that they put in to making the software that ALLOWS us to listen to our feeds. Without this application, I would be unable to listen to my own feed on my BlackBerry.

Why is this such a hard idea to grasp? I guess I don't understand why people think someone should work for free. And before someone tells me (again) that they provide their feed for free here... let me remind you that you are paid $30 a year by way of a free premium subscription.
Old 09-12-2009, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyjaco View Post
The fear I have about the proliferation of all this live broadcasting of public safety comms is that more misguided police chiefs and fire chiefs will start encrypting their radios and then we all lose..