feed archives

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic_35

Could someone please tell me why in the world you would have to be a pid subscriber to isen to old scanner feeds in the archives? Myself i think it is not right to those who can not pay for it and like to listen to the night before

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Could someone please tell me why in the world you would have to be a pid subscriber to isen to old scanner feeds in the archives? Myself i think it is not right to those who can not pay for it and like to listen to the night before

Disk space to store the files (not small files either) and the bandwidth costs involved in transferring those files when you download them aren't cheap. It's probably the most expensive part of the live feeds. I can't say I agree with all of the decisions made here regarding the live feeds, but I do understand this one.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

The reason you'd have to pay is because those huge volumes of archives take up system resources on RR servers... Gigabytes (hell, maybe terabytes) of data, and then the bandwidth to server them.

Turn that question around and ask yourself "why should I get everything for free?"

Mike

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
It takes a massive amount of disk space to store the archives. Recording 1,300+ feeds 24/7 and feed amount grows everyday. Charging a small fee allows them to cover these charges as well as expand for the future. A few dollars a month isn't to bad.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.