RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on RadioReference.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 3:55 PM

Default feed archives

Could someone please tell me why in the world you would have to be a pid subscriber to isen to old scanner feeds in the archives? Myself i think it is not right to those who can not pay for it and like to listen to the night before
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2009, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic_35 View Post
Could someone please tell me why in the world you would have to be a pid subscriber to isen to old scanner feeds in the archives? Myself i think it is not right to those who can not pay for it and like to listen to the night before
Disk space to store the files (not small files either) and the bandwidth costs involved in transferring those files when you download them aren't cheap. It's probably the most expensive part of the live feeds. I can't say I agree with all of the decisions made here regarding the live feeds, but I do understand this one.
KD1EMS WQRD823
Old 09-28-2009, 4:08 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic_35 View Post
The reason you'd have to pay is because those huge volumes of archives take up system resources on RR servers... Gigabytes (hell, maybe terabytes) of data, and then the bandwidth to server them.

Turn that question around and ask yourself "why should I get everything for free?"

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 09-28-2009, 8:59 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

It takes a massive amount of disk space to store the archives. Recording 1,300+ feeds 24/7 and feed amount grows everyday. Charging a small fee allows them to cover these charges as well as expand for the future. A few dollars a month isn't to bad.

Jason
Old 09-29-2009, 5:29 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

...and then there's the "search" function as this has been covered before. (which is still free, by the way)

http://forums.radioreference.com/liv...what-crap.html
Sponsored links