8 Feed appliance on track

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
My project to create an 8 feed appliance is on track. This appliance will be deployed in the Washington DC Metro area.

Here are the specifications:

(7) GRE PSR-500's
(1) GRE PSR-300
Stridsberg 8 port multi-coupler
Mini ATX Case with modified power supply for:
- Power for all 8 radios
- 5 USB Hubs for 8 USB Soundcards and 7 USB Serial Cables
Mac Mini Computer
- Running Fedora Core 11 Linux
- 8 instances of darkice for encoding the MP3 audio stream to RadioReference
- USB over IP compiled into the kernel for remote access to the scanners
- OpenVPN for establishing a 2 way VPN connection to a central
server without having to account for firewalls at remote locations

I'll have more pics as it gets tied together.

Attachments

• IMG_5428.jpg
    IMG_5428.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 3,265
  • IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 3,315

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
So when are you going to start taking this a bit seriously?

brandon

Database Admin
Only 8 radios?

j/k

That is one sweet setup and I look forward to seeing it come online :)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I hope you're going to stream with tags...

Peter
K1PGV

If you can build me a linux streaming utility that is command line based, uses a simple text config file, and can run multiple instances... then I'll be able to stream tags. :)

I would also need the ability to dynamically "turn off" the tag streaming function so I could release the serial port and access the radio (control, programming etc) without having to bring the stream down.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
That is so unbelievably cool. I would love to have the extra cash on hand to create something like this for the RWC here in Phoenix.

Question - why the handhelds? Any specific reason? I had initially pictured something using the base versions instead. I'd also worry a bit about having 8 wall warts plugged into a single outlet. I've seen too many of them burn up or just quit for no good reason.

If I were building this, I'd set up some sort of sealed lead-acid battery with a trickle charger that would allow all 8 scanners to run off of one dedicated DC powersource and would keep the whole setup running even if the power went out. Where I'd go portable would be the computer. A small P2 or higher notebook that could also be run from the dedicated DC powersource would be ideal.

Neat project. If I ever got the kind of money it would take to set one up for Phoenix I'd be all over it.

-AZ

EDIT: Nevermind, upon re-reading your post it sounds like the computer's power supply is being modded to power the radios instead of the wall warts. I'd still opt for the battery option myself, but using the computer's power supply is better than using wall warts.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Scanners are actually powered by the PC Power supply... 8 wall warts is just too much space, and as you mentioned problematic. The computer power supply was converted from a switching power supply to a "lab" power supply providing all the voltages I need (5V+ for the USB Hubs, 8.9V for the PSR Radios, and 12V for the multi-coupler). You'll notice on the back of the computer case a high limit 10 Ohm resister which provides the continuous load for the power supply to function properly.

The entire system will run off of a UPS for power protection.

This appliance is probably one of the more expensive ones since there are 7 Digital radios and 1 analog. For some markets that I would like to deploy these (like NYC or Chicago) the cost goes significantly down when you are talking 150/radio vs 500/radio.

If anyone wants me to build one of these for them (you'll own it) let me know and I'll be glad to work something out. :)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
These (See attached photo)

How much do they cost you might ask? $0.99 a piece. So I bought 50 of them.

I'm not kidding, and they work great. See Ebay for them. I remove the case so they'll fit into the hubs... and they work great.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-07 at 12.27.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-07 at 12.27.35 PM.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 3,122

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
The Scanners are actually powered by the PC Power supply... 8 wall warts is just too much space, and as you mentioned problematic. The computer power supply was converted from a switching power supply to a "lab" power supply providing all the voltages I need (5V+ for the USB Hubs, 8.9V for the PSR Radios, and 12V for the multi-coupler). You'll notice on the back of the computer case a high limit 10 Ohm resister which provides the continuous load for the power supply to function properly.

The entire system will run off of a UPS for power protection.

This appliance is probably one of the more expensive ones since there are 7 Digital radios and 1 analog. For some markets that I would like to deploy these (like NYC or Chicago) the cost goes significantly down when you are talking 150/radio vs 500/radio.

Sounds like you've done your homework. That also answers the use of handhelds versus base - they are smaller and use less juice. Makes perfect sense.

If anyone wants me to build one of these for them (you'll own it) let me know and I'll be glad to work something out. :)

Dang, you shouldn't tempt me like that, LOL... About how much would a setup like this cost to build? My guesstimation is approx $4500, with all but about $1000 being the cost of the scanners.

An idea for your control software - see if you can write (or have someone write) a control program that will also take the current tag displayed on each scanner and write it to a text file that the icecast encoders can read. That's how I do the tags on my feed and can simultaneously via remote access change channels, scan, hold, even program a new talkgroup or frequency without breaking the connection or taking down the stream. I'd offer to write it for you, but I only know how to code for Windoze, plus those darn GRE's speak gibberish (I love Uniden's control protocol - so simple and straightforward).

Again, great project and well done!

-AZ

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
These (See attached photo)

How much do they cost you might ask? $0.99 a piece. So I bought 50 of them.

I'm not kidding, and they work great. See Ebay for them. I remove the case so they'll fit into the hubs... and they work great.

Beautiful -- on Ebay

I just bought 15 for myself :) Thanks for the tip.

Mike

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Some updates, I've been fighting with darkice all day... so I've decided to instead load windows on the machine and see about auto-running 8 instances of ScannerCast. Let's see what happens. Pics of the completed appliance coming shortly. It looks really cool.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here are some pics of the completed appliance. 5 USB hubs, 9 soundcard interfaces (1 spare), 7 USB Serial cables. That is some serious USB action!

Attachments

• IMG_5430 (1).jpg
    IMG_5430 (1).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3,134
  • IMG_5431 (1).jpg
    IMG_5431 (1).jpg
    122 KB · Views: 3,146
  • IMG_5432 (1).jpg
    IMG_5432 (1).jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 3,239

Astrak

If you're going to be using Windows, why not use WIN500 and TCPMux for remote control of the scanners over IP.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
It would be easier for me to just use LogMeIn or Teamview to remotely control and program the radios. I went the USB over IP solution because of Linux, but now that isn't an issue any more. I'm hoping the PC I'm using can handle running 8 instances of ScannerCast. We're about to find out :)

ocn29rsc

Hey the kids bike under the table....is that like your sleek decoy antenna.....I mean that has to fit into the project somewhere right?

Looks awsome hope it works out the way you want it to.

ocn29rsc

Status
Not open for further replies.