RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on RadioReference.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default audio not loud enough and distorted

Hello I just started my feed tonight and it isn't loud enough. I have all the volumes up as high as they can go pretty much. Still can't hear what they are saying via the site but comes out great on the computer. I have tried Mic In and Line In both having same problems.
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootweather View Post
Hello I just started my feed tonight and it isn't loud enough. I have all the volumes up as high as they can go pretty much. Still can't hear what they are saying via the site but comes out great on the computer. I have tried Mic In and Line In both having same problems.
If your using Oddcast (broadcaster provided to you on your feed owners page) I suggest you switch to ScannerCast. It's 100% easier to work with and I've had no troubles, as alot of other people as well. You'll want your scanner volume to be up about half way, as well as your line in or mic recording volume up half way. (depends what one your using) Then you can go from there, making any minor adjustments you think is necessary.
Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-2009, 4:18 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm listening to it right now using Winamp and I'm not detecting any distortion in the audio. I am noticing some traffic with very low volume, but some of it is also easily heard. I had to manually turn the volume knob on my speakers up some from where I keep them in order to hear.

Have you adjusted the volume on the scanner itself? Seems like your line-in isn't getting enough drive to it. I would suggest cranking down the line-in/mic input (which ever you use) crank it down some and then turn the volume up on the scanner itself.

example I heard a dispatch saying ENGINE 4 Stand by for tone, and then a single tone and then he dispatched them to a medical emergency, and the audio level was perfect. So whoever is dispatching a fire department with engine 4 has good audio, but a couple of other transmissions from another agency had very low volume. Not sure what you can do to fix that?

Last edited by nexus; 10-15-2009 at 4:20 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 2:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I solved the problem by going to my Control Panel, open the sounds and Audio Devices icon,
Click on Options and select properties, Make sure Advanced Controls are
checked, Click on the advanced button in the Master Control Panel.I use the Microphone in, rather
than Line in for more volume. Put a check mark in Microphone boost. Be sure and check the Mute
box, on the microphone In, or you'll hear it through your computer. I'm using Oddcast.
Then tweak your settings for best sound.
Lawton
Old 10-28-2009, 3:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You have your capture device which is either mic or line in depending on your soundcard and wiring.

The capture device also has a capture gain level.

The operating system then has mic or line in sliders to monitor what is being captured. So don't confuse the levels for monitoring what is coming in with the gain level for the input itself.

I recommend running the scanner fairly hot into the sound card and running the capture level lower. This will knock out a lot of hiss generated from running a low scanner audio into a high gained soundcard input. You have to monitor the actual RR stream to really be sure what is going on. You don't want it clipping and distorting for sure.

Use NOAA frequencies if they are strong in your area, the audio level is very high. If you set the scanner feed so it won't distort on that signal, it can be useful and will likely keep your feed from distorting on any other signals.
Sponsored links

Tags
volume