New Audio Features for 10/29/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, new features and updates to the audio system today:

1) Secondary description will only be shown on county pages and feed description pages.

2) Feed archives will be displayed on a separate page for more room to add more features.

3) Only one icon will be available on feed listings. This is to narrow down the funnel path for users to find more info about a feed. We're not doing a good enough job

4) The feed details page for each individual feed will be completely re-done with big icons showing Feed Archives, Feed broadcaster details, Report Problem, Feed Owner Page, and add to MyRR

5) MyRR now supports "My Favorite Feeds" - you can add a feed to your watch list by clicking the appropriate icon on the feed details page.

6) The Web player will become the default player.

7) The feed listings with the bold primary description and secondary description are better styled to look better.

bezking

I think you left out the WHERE `uid` = XXX from you SQL, Lindsay. Feeds are being randomly added to and being deleted from my MyRR...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
3) Only one icon will be available on feed listings. This is to narrow down the funnel path for users to find more info about a feed. We're not doing a good enough job

The "Feed provider link" icon is still showing up on the county page, yet does not appear anywhere on the individual feed page itself.

4) The feed details page for each individual feed will be completely re-done with big icons showing Feed Archives, Feed broadcaster details, Report Problem, Feed Owner Page, and add to MyRR

Continuing my first comment, a big icon for "Feed provider link" is probably a good idea as well.

The default player for the archives always goes to WMP, even when the web player was chosen as the default player. Seems that is still the case?

PS - The new big icon for archive download is awesome! It was such a pain in the ass clicking that little arrow lol.

Last edited:

richtidd

Database Admin
Folks, new features and updates to the audio system today:

1) Secondary description will only be shown on county pages and feed description pages.

2) Feed archives will be displayed on a separate page for more room to add more features.

5) MyRR now supports "My Favorite Feeds" - you can add a feed to your watch list by clicking the appropriate icon on the feed details page.

7) The feed listings with the bold primary description and secondary description are better styled to look better.

MyRR now supports "My Favorite Feeds" is very cool.

zpdx

Feed Provider
Add a feed page link to the Web Player?

This is to narrow down the funnel path for users to find more info about a feed. We're not doing a good enough job

Wondering if you could add a link to the feed description page (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=XXX) on the web player UI. Many of my feed's listeners arrive via a direct link to the web player and likely aren't finding the feed notes, other listening methods, archives or premium subscription benefits.

Uplink

thanks Lindsay, I like the new look. BTW, The "Metro Quick Hop" pulldowns don't seem to work anymore. Thanks for all your hard work on this great website.

lbpd719

Don't know if this is the right place to mention this or not, but it sure would be nice for down feeds to list "last seen 01/01/01 xxxx" Don't know how much work that would be - but it would be nice..

Mylan

Feed Provider
sorry if this is redundant but...

I like and appreciate all the recent changes that have been made to the live audio albeit the secondary description disappearing from the state page... I realize that that change has made the state pages mostly uniform and much more aesthetic but now when looking to find a new feed to check out, one must painstakingly click each individual county to see what may or may not be found on an individual feed...
I was thinking that a good option to have would be a link to "show secondary descriptions"......

Anyway, that is just one person's opinion and I can happily live with the present format....

But.... to make RR live audio more interesting, I desperately wish that somewhere there was a listing of all feeds with active news and feed alerts so that when we hop onto the live audio, we don't have to click 49 links to see if anyone has posted something interesting ...

This could be accomplished in one of two ways...

1) by far the best way (although I don't know if it's possible) would be a page that lists only feeds with active alerts.. or
2) a page that lists every feed in the country on one page (or like 500 per page).... I know that would be a huge page but it is certainly doable and the bold red writing sticks out very easily so they would be relatively easy to spot....

Having something like this would help the "little guy" who wants, but never has any listeners to alert people nationwide to something interesting on his feed.

Doing this would also make violators of the "active news and feed alert" easier to find. because just about every time I look through the USA I see them and I'm sick of seeing providers that don't know the difference between a status update and an active incident. :)

richtidd

Database Admin
Doing this would also make violators of the "active news and feed alert" easier to find. because just about every time I look through the USA I see them and I'm sick of seeing providers that don't know the difference between a status update and an active incident. :)

As RR Admin's, we go through the listings frequently & remove or ask the feed owner to remove these messages. So they do not last long. Also, the News & Alert info times out at 2 hours so it does not last long.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
1) by far the best way (although I don't know if it's possible) would be a page that lists only feeds with active alerts

This is a great idea, I like it. I'm sure a simple SQL statement to pull only the feeds with a non-null value in that field is very doable.

rdsirois

Time stamp

Hello Lindsay,

1. Is there a way to, or is it feasible to to place a start time stamp on "audio feeds with alerts"? The default time limit on alerts I believe is two hours. If the listeners know what time the alert started. . .

2. Is there a way to to make a log of of past alerts and the associated link to that specific log?

It may be interesting for some to listen to past alerts.

Thanks for the time

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.