RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on Broadcastify.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 3:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Feed Audio Feedback

Hey everyone. I have a new feed up and running but the audio doesnt sound the best to me. I get some kind of digital garble when I listen back to my feed. Any input on what your hearing and what might fix it at the same time would be greatly appreciated. I have tried 2 different computers so far and get the same thing. Thanks in Advance.

Tricounty Public Saftey is the feed.

Tri-County Public Safety Live Scanner Audio Feed

John
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2010, 9:42 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Update: I have changed Cables, broadcast source, taken the router out and hooked right to the timewarner high speed modem, tried 4 different computers with out any changes. Also others and myself are finding that it is constantly buffering and most programs wont connect/ stay connected. Any input? The "digital garble" is still there and gives me a headach to the point I wont even listen to my own feed even though weve been in the mist of a fairly decent snow storm with lots of activity on the feed. Im embaressed to share the feed with my friends due to the issues. Any help would be great! Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 3:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just a couple thoughts until an expert jumps in.
Can you tell us your upload speed results. (Google: speed test)
Second, have you tried a port other than 80? If your ISP is proxying web traffic that could be an issue.
If you could post both upload and download speed test results that will help eliminate bandwidth issues.

Also, how about the latest sound card drivers? It could be an issue with the analog to digital conversion at the soundcard.

and a final thought. What about any antivirus programs or packet inspection at the router. If outbound traffic is being scanned for threats or packet inspection is taking place, that too could cause a delay and create some "digital garble".

Regards,
Jay

Last edited by DigitalMDX; 02-26-2010 at 3:55 PM..
Old 02-27-2010, 8:17 AM

I did a speed test for my connection for my service which is a sprint wireless card my download speed is 1.26mb upload .24mb and ping 184 my feed runs great have no probs with it at all.
Old 02-28-2010, 6:02 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I ran a speed test today with a server near by in NJ and then one on the west coast. Here are the results:

Upload Download Ping

NJ: 0.95 Mb/s 5.64 Mb/s 24 ms

WC 0.84 Mb/s 3.89 Mb/s 162 ms
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2010, 6:26 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

From your Speed Test results if you are Browsing the Internet while hosting that may cause an issue as your connection does not have a lot of bandwidth at all. If i remember correctly Time Warner has or had faster speeds than that.
Old 03-01-2010, 1:55 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default "Digital Garble"

Looking at your stream at: Tri-County Public Safety Live Scanner Audio Feed
Something is causing your stream to constantly re-buffer (as you mentioned). However it instantly buffers to 100% but it does this over and over. The instant buffer to 100% is interesting, hopefully someone will have an answer to this.

Compare that to this stream: Thurston County Fire, EMS, and Law Enforcement Live Scanner Audio Feed
Here you will notice the constant scroll of the station description without the buffering.

I would suspect the router or the ISP but you can check the bandwidth on the PC as well.
Bring up TaskManager ( CTRL-ALT-DELETE ) and select Task Manager
Now click on the "Network" tab and see what the network bandwidth at the PC is doing,

Did you get the same re-buffering when you took the router out of the picture?
Is your High Speed Modem in bridge mode? (where the static IP is passed through to your router) or are you double NATing. ie: Your modem gets an IP from the ISP, then it hands out a new IP to your router then your router hands out a new IP to the PC?
If you are double NATing, you might surf around and look for instructions for putting your High Speed Modem in bridge mode to avoid the double NAT situation.

I'm just tossing out ideas here, hoping that something will ring a bell with you so you can get this resolved.

Take care,

Jay

Last edited by DigitalMDX; 03-01-2010 at 2:01 PM..
Old 03-01-2010, 7:36 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Update: Interesting note

So, I was showing my feed to a co-worker and he brought up the standard web player and the stream started playing. After about 3 minutes it went into the Buffering 100%, play, Buffering 100%, play... loop.

So I went to my desk and brought up the stream. This PC has WinAmp installed, so when I select Java Player it brings up the RadioReference player window with WinAmp embedded in the player area.
It's streaming fine without any buffering going on.

I would be curious to see how your stream acts for you when listened to via WinAmp or another player and see if the buffering issue goes away.

Jay
Old 03-01-2010, 9:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

What scanner are you using, what scanner broadcast software are you using, what output are you using on the scanner are you using IE. line-out or head phone-out?
BCD396XT
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2010, 2:24 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have checked the network usage at the computer and it never gets above 0.2%. The only time it gets that high even is when I access the computer remotely (I was having this problem pre installing the remote access program).

I am using a radio shack scanner that only has a headphones out jack and the scannercast software.

The speed test has been done when the system is broadcasting so I just ran them with it off and I got Upload of 0.97 and download of 5.31.

As for trying different programs to recieve the feed I find the garble their in all of them but less noticable when using my Motorola Droid and the default music program. Any other on the phone wont connect and any on my computer or others are rebuffering and the garble is extreamly noticable.

I will check into the other suggestions sometime later today or tomarrow. Any other feedback/ suggestions is still welcome.
Old 03-02-2010, 2:39 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here are the stats listed on Time Warner for what we should have.

Download Speed = 15 Mbps * Up to 22 with Power Boost
Upload Speed = 1 Mbps