Which stream software for ubantu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
My home feed currently streams using Scannercast, However I'm running ubantu on dual boot and at the new location my feed will be running from. Which streaming software used here runs best with ubantu and its going to be the easiest to set up for a novice Linux/ubantu user?

Thanks

When I was running ubuntu I was able to get Edcast running well under wine. The audio level meters would flash instead of being on like they normally are on a windows box, but other than that it was quite stable.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I use Darkice. No pretty GUIs, nothing at all to look at while it runs, but then it isn't necessary either.

There is a hangup, though - the version available in the Ubuntu repository only supports Ogg Vorbis, so unless you can find one compiled with mp3 support for the Ubuntu version you are using you would have to compile it yourself.

I am using Debian on my streaming server, and added the 'debian-multimedia' repo which has an mp3-compiled darkice available. I don't know if there is a similar repo for Ubuntu.

SCPD

QRT
OK Gentlemen, Thanks for the info. As I am a extreme novice at Linux and ubantu I might have to consider changing the OS for the feed back to MS. Thanks for the help.

KB2BDB

I use Darkice. No pretty GUIs, nothing at all to look at while it runs, but then it isn't necessary either.

There is a hangup, though - the version available in the Ubuntu repository only supports Ogg Vorbis, so unless you can find one compiled with mp3 support for the Ubuntu version you are using you would have to compile it yourself.

I am using Debian on my streaming server, and added the 'debian-multimedia' repo which has an mp3-compiled darkice available. I don't know if there is a similar repo for Ubuntu.

I'm using Darkice also in Ubuntu 9.04. I tried Darksnow, since it supposedly gives Darkice a GUI. I had no luck getting it to work reliably, and always showed "Stream Stopped ", when instead the server actually WAS streaming!

Anyone have any luck getting Scannercast to work under Wine? If so, does it work better than Darkice?

Scott WA2DTN

KB2BDB

OK Gentlemen, Thanks for the info. As I am a extreme novice at Linux and ubantu I might have to consider changing the OS for the feed back to MS. Thanks for the help.

I thought that, also. It takes a bit of patience and persistence to get it to work, but it wasn't as bad as I had feared. It only took me a few tries to get Darkice to work, and if I hadn't been fooling with Darksnow, it probably wouldn't have taken me THAT long!

My only stumbling block was realizing I needed to set the audio mixer to OSS mixer, rather than ALSA mixer. Keep in mind I stream through a LINUX file server that serves as my file backup location. Your mileage may vary...

Scott WA2DTN

SCPD

QRT
I did finally find something that might work, but I might as well just change the whole OS to microsoft at this point. Virtual Box enables Linux to run Windows which inturn would run Scannercast. Virtual Bpx pretty much allows any OS to run any other OS. So I could be on ubantu and run Mac OS through VB.

Since Windows XP is pretty much unsupported or unregulated now I think i'll just whipe out the stream PC and put XP back on then run Scannercast.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Since Windows XP is pretty much unsupported or unregulated now I think i'll just whipe out the stream PC and put XP back on then run Scannercast.

Huh? Where are you getting your information from? Windows XP is officially supported by Microsoft until April 2014, and by no means is it "unregulated" if you're referring to activation.

What's the point of messing with Linux if the machine is dual-boot anyway? If all the machine will be doing is hosting a live feed, then KISS and stick with ScannerCast on XP. Sometimes people make simple things entirely too complicated for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.