Feed disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbjr

Yeah mine has done it about 3-4 times today.always came back online withing about 20 mins though.

SCPD

QRT
Mine seems to do it on all my feeds every 10-60 min but comes online nearly instantly so nobody knows but the person on the computer (which is nobody)

PeterGV

K1PGV
Every year around The Holidays people experience faaaaaar more disconnects than at other times during the year. It's likely that the Internet, your ISP, Amazon AWS, and who knows what else are seeing significantly more traffic at this time of year than other times.

More traffic = more latency = more disconnects.

Happy Holidays!

Peter
K1PGV

richtidd

Database Admin
Every year around The Holidays people experience faaaaaar more disconnects than at other times during the year. It's likely that the Internet, your ISP, Amazon AWS, and who knows what else are seeing significantly more traffic at this time of year than other times.

More traffic = more latency = more disconnects.

Happy Holidays!

Peter
K1PGV

This is correct.

Further, disconnects sometimes happens at other times at no fault with RR.

My ISP sometimes just go up & down that I cannot control.

Other reasons can include modum & or router glitches etc.

Computer cycling, updating etc is also another poss cause.

PeterGV

K1PGV
This is correct.

Further, disconnects sometimes happens at other times at no fault with RR.

My ISP sometimes just go up & down that I cannot control.

Other reasons can include modum & or router glitches etc.

Oh, ABSOLUTELY correct.

My home ISP (admittedly, a pretty small one) just decides to shut my service down without warning when they need to do maintenance. Sometimes it's down for a few minutes, sometimes an hour or two. Or they'll suddenly decide to reboot their DNS servers... all at the same time. Bastards.

Tier 1 ISPs (that is, the ISPs that provide and connect directly to the internet backbone) even go out of commission every once in a while, ESPECIALLY during the load created at this time of year. For example, Sprint last week lost connectivity for many sites in the North East -- the T1s at the company for which I work were down for just over 45 minutes.

Peter
K1PGV

richtidd

Database Admin
Oh, ABSOLUTELY correct.

My home ISP (admittedly, a pretty small one) just decides to shut my service down without warning when they need to do maintenance. Sometimes it's down for a few minutes, sometimes an hour or two. Or they'll suddenly decide to reboot their DNS servers... all at the same time. Bastards.

Tier 1 ISPs (that is, the ISPs that provide and connect directly to the internet backbone) even go out of commission every once in a while, ESPECIALLY during the load created at this time of year. For example, Sprint last week lost connectivity for many sites in the North East -- the T1s at the company for which I work were down for just over 45 minutes.

Peter
K1PGV

Then there is the double wammie of my DSL carrier having a failure at the same time my DSL modum decided to die.

At first ATT said there was no problem on their end but that all indications was my modum was the problem as I could not log into it even directly connected to two computers. It kepted giving a bogus IP.

I bought a new modum, set up as ATT said but is would not connect though my router. Had to go back to PPOE on the router. Then the computer pulled the correct router IP but no internet connection.

Another call to ATT revealed there was in fact a DSL outage in my area all along so I have to wait several more hours.

Later the DSL issues where fixed & my feeds started working.

So you can have several problems at the same time.

bryon3642

our outages were from a semi-tractor trailer hitting the cable lines and ripping the pole out of the ground. since the initial outage we were back up in a few hours, However scannercast seems to either lock up the computer or not allow me to browse the internet, I have more than enough bandwidth not sure if there is some sort of connection between the issues im having and the accident. but it seems scannercast has some unresolved programming issues.

PeterGV

K1PGV
However scannercast seems to either lock up the computer or not allow me to browse the internet... but it seems scannercast has some unresolved programming issues.

With all due respect, while I'm very sure ScannerCast has plenty of unresolved issues (despite the fact that it's running on many hundreds of systems 24x7x365)... locking up your computer or not allowing you to browse the internet isn't likely to be one of them. You see, ScannerCast is just a little application that reads audio data from the sound card and writes a bit of data on the network. It's really not capable of hanging your computer... unless your computer has some underlying hardware problems or whatever.

Are you running an antivirus program... and if so, which one? Note that AVG is known to behave badly with network software such as ScannerCast

Can you run other audio software on your computer to, for example, record your scanner audio... maybe a package like Audacity?

Are you using tags? What model scanner?

Give us the data and we'll try our best to help you get working,

Peter
K1PGV

bryon3642

Well the scanner is a Uniden BCT8 Trunking Scanner, Computer is homebuilt by me, quad core intel proc. 8 gigs of ram, dual nvidia series 9 sli video cards by xfx, liquid cooled system, running windows 7.

however every thing seems to be running fine now.

i cleaned up the system, defragged and the cable company finished monkeying around with some stuff so all is good.

and just an FYI I love scannercast just for the fact that it is a straight forward simple to use program without any bloat.

no if i can only keep the kids from turning off scannercast

as far as A/V software i use vipre premium and have found there may be some issues with that.

vipre will not allow SC to broadcast even with exceptions in the firewall rules, and with the FW shutoff I need to shut down the whole thing in order for it to broadcast.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Disconncets

I had that problem with one of my feeds but RR changed the server it was on and now they are both fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.