Any Help for Why Feeds Drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adenosine

Lately my feeds have all been dropping and reconnecting multiple times a day, between 3-10 times. When times were good, my feeds went weeks before they dropped and reconnected.

I have 3 feeds:
1 Proscan
2 ScannerCast

What tools can I use to figure out why the feeds are dropping? Is there a way to see if this is due to the DSL, my computer, or on the receiving end?

Thank you,
Rob

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I've been getting some odd drops over the last 48hours I can't explain. My internet hasn't dropped just the feed.

rweinkauf

I'm experiencing the same thing- my feed is unusable due to dropping. I detailed all my actions in another post I found before I read this one. I'm pretty sure it's also not due to my equipment, software, network or configuration. It started for me after my feed was down for those few days the server crapped out. Maybe a coincidence, but I have no more ideas.

Rich, N8QLT

exportdawg

Having the same problem on one of my feeds. The other two work fine, but the one has been off and on for the past 72 hours or so.

Adenosine

How does someone figure out why they are disconnecting? If it's something I can fix, then I would like to know.

exportdawg

On my one feed that is down, it will not even allow me to connect to RR to pull up my feeds to transmit using SC or RF since the computer was restarted.
I have three feeds, all on server 1 and all on different computers. I don't think it's on my end, but it could be. Just kinda strange.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm experiencing the same thing- my feed is unusable due to dropping. I detailed all my actions in another post I found before I read this one. I'm pretty sure it's also not due to my equipment, software, network or configuration. It started for me after my feed was down for those few days the server crapped out. Maybe a coincidence, but I have no more ideas.

Rich, N8QLT

Maybe post the RR audio server URL to see if that's in common with the drop outs.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
audio1.radioreference.com
Mount: /495720997

Both of the reports here are using audio1. I'm on audio1 and have not had a dropout in the last month but that may not mean nothing. I would suggest everyone that reports a dropout to advise on the RR server just to get a better picture.

If anyone is running AVG anti-virus then that will cause drop outs.

exportdawg

Both of the reports here are using audio1. I'm on audio1 and have not had a dropout in the last month but that may not mean nothing. I would suggest everyone that reports a dropout to advise on the RR server just to get a better picture.

If anyone is running AVG anti-virus then that will cause drop outs.

avast, and have never had an issue. Plus, all my auto updates are disabled (virus and windows). It seems a few of us have started having the problems around the same time frame. My other two on server 1 are clicking right along without any problems. Beats the heck out of me

wrenchmonkey

I get a drop from 1% to 20% within an hour every day, usually sometime between 2 am and 10 am,, but it was also happening before the server crashed with my feed. I'm on audio1. I was thinking it was ScannerCast, but really haven't a clue.

Last edited:

PeterGV

K1PGV
"Why does my connection drop" is a very frequent question that I've tried to answer multiple times. Check out the best explanation I can provide on my web site (scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for "My Connection Keeps Dropping").

Unless you're computer networking savvy, it can be very difficult to determine the precise reason you get connection drops. All you can usually do is optimize those things that you can control:

1. Use a hard-wired, not a WIFI, connection
  2. Minimize things that are running on the computer that you use for scanner feeding
  3. Use a compatible AntiVirus product (if you use any such product at all) and set it to ignore anything coming from or to the software you're using for your feed (such as ScanerCast)
  4. Set Windows Firewall to ignore anything from or to your feed software (such as ScannerCast)
  5. Don't select "automatically install updates" -- Rather, have Windows download the updates for you and then you can select when to install them. This will help you notice if there's a change in your feed reliability after installing a particular set of Windows updates (these updates CAN be reversed)
  6. Ensure that the connection (audio, but also control) between your computer and your scanner is solid. Screw in the serial port connector, ensure the USB connector is firmly seated and doesn't get knocked around.
  7. Get a profile of the path from your system to the RR servers BEFORE you have problems -- This is a bit more advanced, but if you understand the output, get average PING and TRACERT information when your connection is working well. Then, when you start to get frequent drops, collect new PING and TRACERT info with that which you collected when things were working well.

Even if you do all the above, there's no guarantee that you won't have connection problems. Many times, the reason for connection drops is entirely out of your control. Sometimes the problem might be a RR, other times the problem could be at an arbitrary system between your feed computer and RR's server. That's just the way the internet is...

Peter
K1PGV

wrenchmonkey

It's not my network, or it would show on my logs, and I know it's not the occasional lost packets on the internet, so it has to be the RR servers. My connection has been dropping every night since the server crash, and I'm not the only one.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It's not my network, or it would show on my logs, and I know it's not the occasional lost packets on the internet, so it has to be the RR servers. My connection has been dropping every night since the server crash, and I'm not the only one.

What logs are you looking at? Computer or router?

You advise that it was happening before the the server crash, now it's after. Which is it? Is it at a certain time each day?

The folks at RR may have a problem with a server but I don't think you have done all you could do to determine that's it is a RR server problem.

Packets don't get loss using TCP protocol at the application level. If they did then the mp3 audio wouldn't work. MP3 decoders needs every byte from the encoder in sequence order.

Last edited:

wrenchmonkey

I used to lose my connection occasionally, now it's almost every night. I'm talking about my router logs.I don't know what more you expect me to do, but I know it's not my connection here.

wrenchmonkey

Well, it's been 2 days without a dropout. They must have fixed it.

PS- I guess if I have another problem I woin't come here for help.

Last edited:

wrenchmonkey

Who uses wireless for their feed? Like I said, if I have any more problems, I'm sure not coming in here for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.