Scanner Cast freezing laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
I'm not sure whats going on here but scannercast keeps freezing my computer after it's been running anywhere from 6-18 hours. I have to manually restart my computer by pressing the power button. This only happens when scannercast is running so it's something to do with the program. FYI this is a dedicated machine running XP Pro for feed only.

Sorry if information is limited but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex (Northern NH FireComm)

w2xq

Mentor
That sounds like a memory leak. The software eventually uses up all initially-free RAM, overwrites. and the box locks up. Perhaps the software developer could take a look at the code? (I assume you have eliminated other suspects.) If the developer requests information about your hardware and configuration, perhaps Belarc Advisor (free downloard from belarc.com) may help. Nirsoft.com has a wide variety of (free) diagnostic utility programs; all have small memory requirements and do not touch DLLs or the registry. While the bughunt goes on, perhaps a timer to run every so often to reboot the PC might work. I did that on a DOS box running my BBS before the Internet came on scene. Hope this helps.

PeterGV

K1PGV
To the best of my knowledge, there is no memory leak in ScannerCast. A memory leak in a C# program would be a pretty rare thing, in any case. However, the program runs for weeks or months in most situations without a problem, and monitoring memory usage does not show any increase in the memory used over time.

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.