Blackberry App and my feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
So I have an interesting question.

It was brought to my attention this morning that there was an app on BB app world that is pointed directly at my RR Feed. Sure enough, there is. So my question is. Do I have any grounds to say anything about it seeing as it is my feed that I am volunteering for, my scanner, my power, my computer and I am doing this all for free for everyone, but this guy just decides to create an app for it, and then charge $1.00 for every download. Should I be entitled to any of that profit? I am well aware of the many apps out there that cover ALL of the RR feeds but this is the first that I have ever seen that was pointed directly at one specific feed. The app its self is not that good, all it does is open media player on your phone... lol but still... just curious...

What are your thoughts on this?

Item Description

Have you ever wondered what your local law enforcement is up to? Well if you live in Pictou Nova Scotia Canada, you don't need to wonder any longer! This app will launch a scanner feed for the Pictou RCMP and Fire Departments, and you can listen right from your BlackBerry®!
If you would like a Police Scanner for your local Police or Fire Departments, EMT, or Airport, click the "Contact the Developer" button at the bottom the this page and let me know! I can't provide scanners for the UK or South Africa.
The scanner feed is provided by RadioReference under a creative commons license.
Use of police scanners may be restricted in your area, please check all applicable laws.

wxflint

The mobile apps do take feeds from RR and they are done with permission.

There are several mobile scanner radio type apps for iPhone, Android, Black Berry etc that for a fee, get feeds from RR Live Audio and other sources.

Same for various desk top apps like Scanner Live, Scanner Force

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
The guy who made these apps rather then just make one app for all the feeds makes one for each feed.

feedus

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice for us to make some money off of the other apps. I gave permission to BB Scanner and RR that was all. Now other people are making apps and getting paid for listeners who DL there product. Come on send some $$$$$ our way for providing the feed for free

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Most people do it as part of the hobby and don't expect compensation. Besides, its not like you get absolutely NOTHING out of it, you do get a premium subscription.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I'd personally rather the money too.

The following features are available to Premium Subscribers

Access to the RadioReference.com Web Service <--- Already have access to the website either way
Advanced searching and reporting capabilities <-- Don't use it
Access to all live audio broadcast archives <-- Don't use it
My RadioReference custom watch lists <-- Don't use it
PDF and CSV downloads of communications data <-- Don't use it
Access to post advertisements in the RadioReference Classifieds <-- Don't use it

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Most people do it as part of the hobby and don't expect compensation. Besides, its not like you get absolutely NOTHING out of it, you do get a premium subscription.

The one month cost to run a feed will cover a 1 year subscription to Premium. Not a great deal cheaper to send in the subscription and use your radio for yourself... That was one reason i got out of the feeds, not to mention the "pain in the ***" users (select few) that all have an opinion on how to run your feed..

IMHO

feedus

Premium Subscriber
what I'm saying is this. I dont know what agreements RR has with others about supplying feeds for their apps that THEY make. I really dont care about that. What I care about is the Joe public computer geek who is making apps for Iphones and Androids, then charging their customers for OUR feeds, that we provide to RR for FREE. I understand its a hobby, but I feel that if you write a program for an app and you are making money by using what I provide, I want some of that money kicked my way. Maybe RR should rent our feeds to these other App makers/writes and send some our way. 10 cents on the dollar would go a long way towards my equipment.
I know know that we have no recourse, other than going to the app maker and asking nicely, but again if its on the internet it will be pirated (even though we dont technically broadcast the feed)
Im not asking for much.......only $0.10 on every dollar that they make. It could be a money maker all the way around. (RR would make $$ on renting, Feed Owner would make $$ and the App Maker would make by selling his product)
Or let us negotiate directly with who we want to supply our feed to, or not to.

ibagli

On what grounds would a feed provider be entitled to money from this? It's just streaming software (albeit with few features for its price). The fact that it's tailored for listening to a particular feed doesn't somehow give the feed provider a hook to demand money.

Or let us negotiate directly with who we want to supply our feed to, or not to.

You can. You currently supply your feed to RR. RR then distributes it to anybody who wants to listen for free, including people who have chosen to buy crappy software that only streams your feed. You could, alternatively, take your feed offline at RR and negotiate with an app-maker to get money for distributing it through more exclusive channels (good luck).

Last edited:

feedus

Premium Subscriber
I know its all a big wet dream, but then again if I was in charge of the world things would run perfectly and we would all be rich and live forever too.
So you can't hate me for dreaming.
I know, this would never happen too many other details to work out and who would want to pay to listen to my feed any way

zl2taw

I guess you could shut down your feed, that would stop this person from making money from it.
Does it really matter in the long run ?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'd personally rather the money too.

The following features are available to Premium Subscribers

Access to the RadioReference.com Web Service <--- Already have access to the website either way
Advanced searching and reporting capabilities <-- Don't use it
Access to all live audio broadcast archives <-- Don't use it
My RadioReference custom watch lists <-- Don't use it
PDF and CSV downloads of communications data <-- Don't use it
Access to post advertisements in the RadioReference Classifieds <-- Don't use it

Well, frankly, supporting the live audio platform is far more of an expense for us than any one single individual.

Our monthly costs just to support the live audio feed platform include:

$2,800/month in server and bandwidth costs for master (3), relay (4+n), and archive servers (5)
$1,500/month for storage of 30 days of archives for 3000+ feeds

and, not to mention approximately $90,000USD a year in free premium subscriptions for feed providers.

With that in mind, the mobile apps that are licensed to use our feed directory API pay us royalties in return for real time live access to our directory.

The application in question here is not licensed to use our API and as such, we see that as a client that is not participating in helping support our platform - instead they are directly attempting to generate revenue off of our platform.

Res21cue, shoot me a quick email to lindsay at radioreference.com and I'll coordinate with you further on this.

Thanks,

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
You can. You currently supply your feed to RR. RR then distributes it to anybody who wants to listen for free, including people who have chosen to buy crappy software that only streams your feed. You could, alternatively, take your feed offline at RR and negotiate with an app-maker to get money for distributing it through more exclusive channels (good luck).

This is exactly right and spot on.

However, to keep the live audio platform feasible the distribution channel of the live audio feeds must remain solely within RadioReference's control, or we lose our ability to pay for the servers and infrastructure to support the platform, and function as a viable business. The #1 way in which we pay for the live audio platform is through advertising revenue.

Translation: delivery of the live audio feeds must go through channels that generate revenue for RadioReference.com.

Scooter-stl

Yeah, I'm doing it for the hobby, not the money. There are iPhone apps out there that offer $50-$100 per year, but I'm not interested in making money on my feed. As a matter of fact, I'm paying Radio Reference to broadcast my feed (I signed up for a premium account a few days before submitting my feed application - No, I'm not asking for a refund ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.