RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on Broadcastify.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Looking at setting up a second or third feed

So I am considering setting up a second and possibly third live feed. I want to use the same laptop for them if possible. I only have one mic port in it. I have looked at this however I can't use it because I am not sure if its possible to hook a PCI to a laptop, unless there is some kind of adapter. Is there something similar to this device that is USB or somthing that I could use on my laptop? Any suggestions? Thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I had a similar problem. I use a thin client so only a mic in port. I had mixed results with the $1 USB sound cards from eBay.

I bought this: Newegg.com - ENCORE ENMAB-8CM 7.1 Channel USB Audio Box

I split the line in (left and right) on it and that serves 2 feeds. I use the mic in on the thin client for #3.

I think it works great. If you want to take a listen, try my Hamden County FD feed. Scanner is a BCT15x.

Last edited by Rob_K; 11-29-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Correct me if im wrong, but I can use the mic port build into the laptop for feed one, and use the ones in that device for feeds 2 and 3?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Yes. That is exactly what I do.

Feed 1 built in mic port

(I use the radio shack cable in the wiki to take a single stero port to 2 mono)
Feed 2 left channel of line in
Feed 3 right channel of line in

Might even be able to do a fourth if the box has a mic port too. I can't remember if it does or not.

Edit:
I see it has two mic ports. I never tried them. Looks like that one box could do 4 feeds itself!

Last edited by Rob_K; 11-29-2012 at 10:58 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 9:46 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I use Linux/Darkice to do my streamings. I use an old wyse termianl VX0 I picked up on ebay for $25 and the OS is installed on a 2GB flash drive. For audio input I use an iMic made by griffin I also got from ebay for $8. With alsa you can then use the dsnoop plugin and split the stereo input in to 2 feeds and run 2 instances of darkice with different configuration files. Just google "Darkice split stereo input" there is a google code post with all the info.

If you can boot your laptop from an USB flash drive, I don't see why you couldn't do something like I am doing. Mic inputs on computers are made for electret mics (there is a phantom voltage to power mics of about 5 to 8 or so volts). This causes all sort of hissing and humming noises and what not if you are connecting scanners direct without and impedance matching / isolation circuit in-between.

I imagine you could add more iMics or similar devices to increase the amount of feeds. each time adding 2 feeds or more. You can listen to my feeds at TRYON Amateur Radio Club K2JJI - RACES Drill – Tuesday at 7pm EST | On air: -146.70Mhz PL:100Hz | EchoLink: 510372 | Fulton County NY
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I second the recommendation for the USB iMic by Griffin. I've been using it on a Thin Client running two feeds in stereo.
Old 11-30-2012, 4:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

If cost is an issue for you, try this: Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS

I have two hooked up to my laptop, been using them for over two months with no issues.