RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on Broadcastify.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 3:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Unknown Sound

I am trying to improve the sound quality on the two feeds (Troup County, Georgia (GA) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com)

I am trying to figure out what is causing the sound during radio transmissions. I would describe it as a digital hum or scrambled sound that is lower than the transmission audio. I am using a ground loop isolator on both feeds, but I feel like the audio could be improved a lot. The sound is not heard locally but only when it is broadcasted.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Mike
Sponsored links

Old 01-01-2013, 5:58 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can start by lowering the volume level. If it is too high it will amplify any static. I am listening to LeGrange Police now and there is constant static.
Old 01-01-2013, 6:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the reply. I will adjust the volume down. I was adjusting the volume last night trying to figure it out. I can eliminate the constant static, but I can't figure out what the sound is that is mixed in with the transmissions.
Old 01-01-2013, 6:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What I think you are hearing is noise being digitized. I have the same sort of sound on my fire/aid feed. I do not mean the hum you here when there is no talking, wait for some action.

My Police feed does not have this noise, the only difference is my fire/aid feed is using the on-board soundcard and my police feed is using a soundblaster in the PCI slot in the same computer.

Only solution is a better soundcard.
Old 01-01-2013, 6:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Bellingham_Scanner, Thanks! "digitized" is a way I would describe it. I know there is a hum when the scanner is scanning, honestly I created the hum by trying various cables and adjusting the volume. But the sound I am trying to eliminate is the sound when a radio transmission is being received.

If this helps narrow it down, or describe the sound, it is the same sound that can be heard on satellite radios, just not near as loud. I noticed today that the same digitized sound can be heard on my satellite radio in my vehicle. It is just at a much lower level, hardly noticeable but it is there and it sounds like a digital sound.

I will upgrade the sound card and see if that helps. I will add that I have been using an on board sound card and USB sound card. Both sound cards are cheap and low quality, so a higher quality sound card would be worth it either way.

Thanks Again!
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2013, 7:45 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_3776 View Post
Bellingham_Scanner, Thanks! "digitized" is a way I would describe it. I know there is a hum when the scanner is scanning, honestly I created the hum by trying various cables and adjusting the volume. But the sound I am trying to eliminate is the sound when a radio transmission is being received.

If this helps narrow it down, or describe the sound, it is the same sound that can be heard on satellite radios, just not near as loud. I noticed today that the same digitized sound can be heard on my satellite radio in my vehicle. It is just at a much lower level, hardly noticeable but it is there and it sounds like a digital sound.

I will upgrade the sound card and see if that helps. I will add that I have been using an on board sound card and USB sound card. Both sound cards are cheap and low quality, so a higher quality sound card would be worth it either way.

Thanks Again!
It also sounds like some kind of processing or noise reduction on the audio. Have a look at the audio card settings for the Line In or Microphone and see if any boxes are ticked.