RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on Broadcastify.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 6:21 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default How to adjust and "clean" up transmissions

I just got my feed online and I was monitoring the transmission on my android phone here at work and the transmissions don't seem to be as clear as they ought to be. I am not getting any kind of hums or buzz's like others have described, it just seems the voice transmissions need to be clean up and also louder. Any suggestions to a newbie on how to adjust and clean up as much as possible. I am broadcasting a non trunking county system from a PRO2006 scanner using audio cable on the headphone out on scanner to audio in on the desktop. Edgefield County, SC

Thanks
Sponsored links

Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Yea that is bad. I would go into your sound settings on your computer and adjust them first. Make sure your settings are not amplifying any noise that is coming into your computer.
BCD396XT
Old 01-11-2013, 8:15 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I would recommend reviewing the information contained in the Live Audio section of the Wiki. There are several good tips on how to set-up a feed with the best audio.

Setting up your Broadcasting Station - The RadioReference Wiki
Old 01-11-2013, 8:40 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Should I be plugging the audio cable into the external speaker or microphone located on the scanner?
Old 01-11-2013, 8:42 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Correction, external speaker connection on the back or headphone jack on the front. Sorry for the previous wrong post.
Sponsored links

Old 01-11-2013, 9:18 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Just turning down the audio level will make your feed sound 100% better and it will still be just as loud. The audio is being clipped from being over driven and that is introducing what sounds like interference to the transmissions. One of these meters is a must to help adjust the levels. Audio Level Meter

It also appears you might want to tighten up the squelch.

External speaker and headphone jack are outputs, not inputs. You need to use an audio input on your computer. This might be a microphone or a line in connection.

Mike

Providing ADS-B data from NW Ohio for http://www.flightradar24.com

Last edited by mdulrich; 01-11-2013 at 9:21 AM..
Old 01-11-2013, 9:58 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Shajoe44:

Per the Live Audio Wiki: "Avoid using the speaker output of the radio because the output level maybe too high for the computer input and cause distortion". Line Out or REC Out are preferred if the scanner has those. If not, then the headphone jack would be your next best choice.
Old 01-11-2013, 7:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have downloaded the meters and also adjusted the volume level of the scanner input. It seems to have helped a lot. What levels on the meters should I be trying to reach or stay within for maximum effect.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Think of 0 as 100% and shoot for that to be the level you want. You can run peaks over 0, but you don't want the meter maxing out into the +20 range. I have some peaks that run up to around +8 on my feed.

I've done some listening on your feed and it sounds much better, but now could be louder.

Mike

Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2013, 6:56 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

How do I achieve more loudness without creating more distortion?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Increase the level on the computer while watching the meter. You may have to increase the volume on the scanner if it isn't driving the sound card high enough. You just have to experiment while keeping an eye on the meter and monitoring your feed.

Mike

Old 01-12-2013, 1:36 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks, I will try and peak it later tonight when I get home. Thanks once again for all the help. Its a small county but I like listening with my phone at times while I am at work.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 AM

Default can you help me to.

[QUOTE=mdulrich;1892078]Just turning down the audio level will make your feed sound 100% better and it will still be just as loud. The audio is being clipped from being over driven and that is introducing what sounds like interference to the transmissions. One of these meters is a must to help adjust the levels. Audio Level Meter

It also appears you might want to tighten up the squelch.

External speaker and headphone jack are outputs, not inputs. You need to use an audio input on your computer. This might be a microphone or a line in connection.

Mike[

what is AB , MS? I tryed to google it but when you dont know what it stands for it hard to get good info.

Last edited by bmxpro822; 01-26-2013 at 10:27 AM..