RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on Broadcastify.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2013, 7:49 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Stewart Georgia
Posts: 5
Smile Improved Audio Quality on Feed

I've had several feeds up and running for some time now. They sound ok I guess, but I've noticed that the audio quality on the feeds always sounds "tinny" , or sounds like an "Echo" in a hallway. I've listened to other feeds where they sound so clear, that you think you're listening to the actual scanner! Mine does not sound like that no matter what I do! I have high speed internet (Comcast), with the highest speed they offer, so I can't understand why all my feeds sound like they're on a dial up connection! Can someone please help me with this problem? Liberty/Long county Ga, Chatham county, Ga, and Toombs county, Ga are my feeds if ya wanna listen quick, and see for yourself. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM
DeRanKeR's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Marion County (Ocala) Florida
Posts: 38
Default

Sometimes, it is best to go into your computer and change the decibal level of your microphone. When I first started my feed I encountered the same issue. It doesn't have to do with your internet connection. Here, let me do a walkthrough for you, let you play around with it and see if it can optimize your feed.

(Windows 7)
1. Go to Start Menu
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select Hardware and Sound
4. Select Sound
5. Click Recording tab
6. Click on your Microphone, then Properties (bottom right)
7. Under Levels, you can tweak your Microphone, and Microphone Boost levels.

By default I believe your standard Microphone Boost level is at about +10 dB. I tweaked mine to be at +20 dB and the quality doesn't sound so scratchy or like an echo; and my Microphone level to be at 5. You have to take into account that your scanner is plugged into your microphone jack, so it is based on it's sound level. tweak those levels a bit, then let me know if it helps any. Reminder, don't try and set the dB levels to 0 dB, it would sound god awful.
__________________
PRO-197
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Stewart Georgia
Posts: 5
Default

ok, I'll look into it. Also, RR emailed me and said that they ran some kind of bit sample rate, and saw that I was broadcasting in stereo and that this wasn't allowed with my particular feed since it's just a single feed. said that's prob why my feed sounds that way. I unselected the broadcast in stereo option, and that seems to have helped.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2013, 1:29 PM
Skypilot007's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 1,599
Default

It also depends what kind of scanner you're using. Most scanners just have that tinny sound you describe and it is unavoidable, some do not. I had the same issues with an old radio shack scanner on my New Jersey Turnpike feed. I made a home brewed audio filter to tone down that tinny sound and it worked ok. I've since dumped the scanner and am using a profession grade radio I had laying around. It sounds very good now as compared to my other feed on Camden city. That one is an old BC235XLT but it sounds better than the radio shack scanner did.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2013, 6:33 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth Sector 001
Posts: 551
Default

Also you shouldn't use the MIC input for a scanner. You should use the Line IN.

Mic will boost your volume and make it sound bad.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2013, 4:16 AM
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: cedartown ga
Posts: 256
Default

yeah i made the same mistake had mine set too sterio instead of mono but im gonna move my stuff too linux better uptimes and more stable wont have the tags unless anyone knows of a streamer for linux that shows the tags ill be searching gotta reformatt mint too ubuntu first mints all right when i was running a flashserver but i dont need that nomore any one who knows id love too know and thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2013, 4:44 AM
W8RMH's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4mnd View Post
I've had several feeds up and running for some time now. They sound ok I guess, but I've noticed that the audio quality on the feeds always sounds "tinny" , or sounds like an "Echo" in a hallway. I've listened to other feeds where they sound so clear, that you think you're listening to the actual scanner! Mine does not sound like that no matter what I do! I have high speed internet (Comcast), with the highest speed they offer, so I can't understand why all my feeds sound like they're on a dial up connection! Can someone please help me with this problem? Liberty/Long county Ga, Chatham county, Ga, and Toombs county, Ga are my feeds if ya wanna listen quick, and see for yourself. Thanks.
I have found that the scanners that have a "record out" have the best audio. I also notice a lot of signal fade. A better antenna would help too.
__________________
BCD996XT BCD396XT BCT15X BCT15 Bearcat IV
Columbus Police Live Audio
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth Sector 001
Posts: 551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0xPro-197 View Post
yeah i made the same mistake had mine set too sterio instead of mono but im gonna move my stuff too linux better uptimes and more stable wont have the tags unless anyone knows of a streamer for linux that shows the tags ill be searching gotta reformatt mint too ubuntu first mints all right when i was running a flashserver but i dont need that nomore any one who knows id love too know and thanks in advance
What makes you think Linux has better uptime? My Windows XP machine with proscan has been running for over 400days now. Runs Proscan, Trunk88, Weather Station software, 3 monitors, and a couple of other things.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2013, 1:56 PM
ProScan's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario, Calif.
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar22 View Post
What makes you think Linux has better uptime? My Windows XP machine with proscan has been running for over 400days now. Runs Proscan, Trunk88, Weather Station software, 3 monitors, and a couple of other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0xPro-197 View Post
linux better uptimes and more stable
I have the same question. Why you think Linux is more stable then Win machines with regards to audio streaming? My feed on a Win machine stays up perfectly for weeks and months without one bit error unless it was caused by external issues such as power or router failures.

Last edited by ProScan; 03-04-2013 at 1:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2013, 3:26 PM
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: cedartown ga
Posts: 256
Default

cause my windows avg maybe 3days uptime and my linux avg 50+ days that with me leaven it bee just my opton and many who run linux good friend i have avg 300+ on linux and about 4 weeks on windows but some windows user are able too have great uptimes im unable too cause after about 1 week it becomes realiy unstabel even when its fully update may just be me dunno just my option that it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions