Crazy static on scanner channel - Looking for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
This is one of the crazier things I have seen.
There are three devices involved here. 1) Room Lights 2) Room Lamp 3) Belkin video streaming box.

At 11PM both the room lights and the room lamp turn off and horrible static is heard on my scanner stream.
If I do any ONE of the three below options the static stops.

1) Turn on the Room Light
2) Turn on the Room Lamp
3) Unplug the Belkin streaming box

I have replaced the Belkin's AC adapter thinking it was just dirty/noisy and it still does the same thing with the new AC adapter.

I have also tried an AC line filter between the Belkin AC adapter and the wall AC outlet.
I have also tried plugging the Belkin AC adapter into a Tripp Lite (surge suppressor / filter).

I don't know what else I can do to eliminate this horrible static, so I'm reaching out for any ideas.

I've experience dirty/noisy AC adapters before and dirty/noisy PC power supplies, but I've never experienced something create noise when other power equipment (the lights) are turned OFF.

I appreciate any suggestions or insight into this one.
Thank you very much,
Jay

jfhtm350

Are they flourescent bulbs? I saw somebody else having noise come through with his flourescent bulbs althought I dont know if they were on or off.

Try switching off the circuit breaker to the room and other rooms one at a time and see what you get.

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
The room lights are overhead ceiling lights. 2 LED screw in 110v bulbs and 2 LED 12v track lighting. The LED bulbs have been in place for over a year now without any effect on the scanner.

I have seen fluorescent bulbs and transformers cause interference.

It would make sense if the static showed up while the lights were on, but I'm really confused as to why it happens when they turn off.

I know the source of the static is from the Belkin box. There is no "light sensor" on the box and no display at all, so nothing "gets brighter" when the lights go out. This is really a strange one.

Thanks for the reply.

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
Solved

Very interesting... this is affecting 155 Mhz.

So this is what I did to resolve the situation...

In the room I have the mentioned overhead lights, the room lamp and the Belkin streaming box and the two scanners providing the stereo scanner stream.

I'll try to give some visuals for whatever that is worth.

The room in question is approx. 500 square feet in size.
The room lights are overhead in the ceiling (all lights mentioned are LED). The 12v LED track light is closer to the South wall and the 110v LED lights are closer to the North wall.
The South wall has the room lamp (also LED's - two)
The East wall has the two scanners. Outside the East wall is the Antenna for the Law Enforcement stream and directly above in the attic is the antenna for the Fire stream. The Law Enforcment stream is the one being affected by the crazy static.
The North wall has the Belkin streaming box
The West wall has nothing involved in this scenario.

So, after trying multiple different configurations, etc. I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the Belkin streaming box which was plugged into an outlet on the North wall and plugged it into an Ethernet port on the West wall and the static stopped.

My only guess is there is either less shielding on the North wall Ethernet run or it runs closer to the antenna than the Ethernet run on the West wall.

I can't explain it, but I'm glad it's over with.

Thank you for your response.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I've had pieces of equipment that put noise onto the AC wiring, affecting other equipment. Sometimes placing the two pieces on different circuits in the home resolved situation. I've also sometimes found that the noise won't jump transformers. Perhaps one of these solutions was what you encountered? Just a thought. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.