RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Feed Administration

Live Audio Feed Administration Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on RadioReference.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 9:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Anyone providing feed using SDR#

As the title states?

I was reading that using these Realtek DVB adapters you can now use unitrunker, dsd, and another virtual cable program to basically replace the hardware scanner? I serve a P25 digital trunked feed and thought it could be cool to do it all with these adapters and free my expensive bcd396 scanner again?
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2013, 9:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: Anyone providing feed using SDR#

I wouldn't mind doing it so I don't need to buy a scanner for a couple of vhf channels.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-26-2013, 6:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I think I will have to grab a few to try.

Although the youtube videos of dsd show the audio quality to not be that great.
Old 06-16-2013, 9:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Exclamation

They work well PM me and i will help you with software "settings"

Tucson Police - Downtown
this feed is using a sdr# interface with a super expensive SDRboard
Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have ordered several of the tuner sticks to play with - I currently have my PRO-197 running my feed since our town went digital and I'd like to put it back into my truck.. So I'm hoping I can make SDR work. And if it works, I'd be able to separate police/sheriff/fire/ems into their own feeds to eliminate them stepping on each other - plus add another town that just went digital too without needing 10 grand worth of scanners.

Which brings me to my question.. How demanding is a single feed of an SDR P25 (using two sticks for control and voice) on an antique computer? My current streamer is an old Compaq Pentium 2 with 256MB RAM (max supported) and Windows XP. Would it be able to run an SDR feed? How about two? More? I have other antiques that I can dust off (but I don't really want to have too many running for my electric bill's sake), and I have also been looking at some of the older Mini ITX boards with 12v power supplies (so I can make efficient use of batteries for extended backup if needed)..

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I p][ will not even come close to running sdr# let alone DSD. I think the bottom of the bottom is at least a p4 if your going to try and use DSD on the same box as the feeds and at least 2 gigs of ram.
Old 08-19-2013, 6:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok I finally got my sticks off the slow boat from China, and I played around a bit.. Is there no 'command line' or non-graphical way to do this? I tried it on my laptop (Turion X2 Ultra ZM-88@2.5GHz w/8GB RAM and SSD) and it crawled. It's not the freshest machine in the bunch, but it's not a turd either. The second instance of SDR# for the voice channel just kept crashing. It seems that it is wasting a ton of resources doing graphical things like the waterfall display, which seem to be basically useless after the intial lock-on and fine tune. It also doesn't seem like with all the things that have to be set up and made to work, that it is a viable option to be left unattended and trusted not to crash or restart properly after a reboot.

Any input?
Old 02-20-2014, 7:28 PM

Default Question about your laptop

Sir- I joined this forum because of your post about your computer-- Specifically about the processor. I'm doing some research on AMD processors, particularly the Turion ZM line. I've been told that AMD did not release this processor, but on doing a google search, this page came up. Wondering if you could do me a favor and double check to confirm that indeed you're running the ZM-88 2.5 and not the ZM-87 2.4? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd appreciate it! Best, jb
Old 02-27-2014, 9:12 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Frankly the computer power needed to run SDR# outweighs any advantages. On my old dual core Athlon SDR# works but barely. Maybe if you could turn of the waterfall and spectrum analyzer display a leser machine would work.

As far as I can see SDR# does not scan, so you are wasting a computer to monitor one frequency?

A cheap scanner and a Raspberry PI would be a more cost effective solution.
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2014, 4:38 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I use two SDR receivers, 2 instances of SDR#, UniTrunker, and DSD+ to monitor a Motorola P25 trunked system and stream it to RR with ScannerCast. I'm running it on a 2.1GHz Dual-Core with only 2.5GB of ram and Windows 8 x64. I use a 4GB USB flash drive with ReadyBoost to allow faster caching. I've also had it running on a virtual machine under VMware ESXi. It runs and sounds just fine.
Old 03-22-2014, 4:43 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellingham_Scanner View Post
As far as I can see SDR# does not scan, so you are wasting a computer to monitor one frequency?
There are a couple different plugins for SDR# that will add scanning abilities. You can find the list of available plugins HERE
Old 03-22-2014, 8:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm running 2 scanner feeds with SDR#, Unitrunker and scanner plugins using a total of 3 dongles.
Digital P25
Marion County Public Safety - Digital
Analog
Marion County Public Safety - Analog

Computer is a HP Corei3 laptop with 8GB Ram

Last edited by jasonhouk; 03-22-2014 at 8:34 AM.. Reason: typo