Hum From My Feed Never There Before

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF-Burns

Hello to all. Question for you.

I have had a feed active for about 5 months now. When starting the feed I had zero noise on the feed. So little noise I had to check every now and then just to see if it was still connected. That is when I had Cable Internet via Time Warner Cable.

About a month ago I switched to Frontier Tele for DSL Internet. As soon as it was connected I had a hum coming from my feed.

The DSL Modem is about 15 feet away and in a differnt room. I do have it hard wired right to my radio feed comuter via ethernet cable.

The link is NY, Monroe County, Westide Fire and EMS if anyone wants to hear it.

Any help on getting rid of it would be quite helpful.

RF-Burns

OK, so I did a little more research.

I have found by turning down the volume on my sound card and turning up the volume on my radio, I can make the hum go away.

So that makes me happy to a point. I guess I would like to know why the hum is their, any ideas?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
It sounds like you might have a ground loop hum. If you have a three-prong to two-prong "cheater" adapter, put it on one piece of equipment at a time until the hum goes away ... if you do have a ground-loop hum, the cheater should isolate the source of the hum. However, the cheater is not a "fix" and should not be used as a fix. Please report back on what you find out ...

Status
Not open for further replies.