Darkice Icecast relay question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to run Icecast as a relay server to Broadcastify?

I also provide direct feeds through my webpage but have had reports during the recent Broadcastify issues that my direct feeds were down to.

I believe this is because one instance of Darkice is serving to Broadcastify and my local Iceast server and when it gets an error is stops both feeds.

Can I run another instance of Icecsat (in a virtual machine if I have to) that will relay to Broadcastify?

That way if Boradcastify has issues it will not effect my direct feeds?

talkpair

I don't think a second instance of Darkice will work because the first instance will lock the sound card and won't be usable by the second instance.

Icecast 1.X had documented a feature called Relay Push where the server would act as a source client to another Icecast server. After much hair pulling, I was informed that the feature was broken and never fixed due to lack of a perceived need. The Relay Push function did work however.

These terms appear to have vanished from Icecast 2.

From my reading on Master/Slave relay options for the Icecast 2 servers, it doesn't appear there's a way to connect Icecast as a source stream to another Icecast server without some special configuration on both machines.

If your home Icecast server is accessible from the Internet, you may want to take a look at this thread:
forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-feed-administration/155719-stream-feed-my-server.html

From my limited experience with Icecast, it would appear that it's easier to 'pull' than it is to 'push'.

If Darkice, or some other streaming software could utilize another stream as an input, instead of a sound card, it would just be a matter of starting another instance of Darkice after the first instance has put the streams onto your home Icecast server.

My interest in this was that I was looking for a way to listen to my own stream without using download bandwidth.

bbrasmussen

You can set up Liquidsoap or VLC to receive a stream from an Icecast server and then feed that as a source to a second Icecast server. I'm not sure if Darkice can do this. I'm thinking not. If you were to feed your local Icecast server with Darkice, then use Liquidsoap to grab the feed from your Icecast server and send it to Broadcastify, you wouldn't be using download bandwidth, just LAN bandwidth. That might work. There's a couple of examples on the Liquidsoap website that can get you started.

Savonet / Liquidsoap svn :: Multimedia Stream Generation

Look under the Transcoding section.

Last edited:
I guess I kind of clouded the issue trying to explain, I know I can't run two instances of Darkice.
Actually I think I might be able to if I ran each inside VirtualBox but I am not sure VirtualBox can share the hardware resources.

Can Icecast be used as a relay to Broadcastify? I remember when I use to use Shoutcast for my direct feeds it could be setup as a broadcast or relay server.

I am pretty sure I saw a post on doing that here year ago but can't find it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.