USB soundcard - No input w/2 cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

I have messed with these a few years back but I do not think I was using it as an input. I am finding that with 2 usb soundcards If I push my patch cord in I can get some audio in but fully installed I get nothing. Do these cheap cards take a stereo input for a mic? These are the cheap 3d audio usb cards and they both are reacting the same way.

Edit - I am using this as input for decoding software - fyi

Last edited:

talkpair

I ran into the same problem and found that if you don't use a 3 conductor plug into the sound card, it short circuits the audio.

Since it's a mono input, they strapped the tip and ring of the jack together so that if you use a 2 conductor plug, the ring and sleeve leads are shorted.

They should have left the ring conductor open and just used the tip and sleeve. That way you could use either a 2 or 3 conductor plug.

frazpo

I ran into the same problem and found that if you don't use a 3 conductor plug into the sound card, it short circuits the audio.

Since it's a mono input, they strapped the tip and ring of the jack together so that if you use a 2 conductor plug, the ring and sleeve leads are shorted.

They should have left the ring conductor open and just used the tip and sleeve. That way you could use either a 2 or 3 conductor plug.

OK, I bet your right. I did notice as I inserted and removed the plug in different areas of the input it acted as if it shorted. I swore I used this same brand a couple of years back and didnt experience it though.
Thanks for the reply

frazpo

OK I did just confirm that. Found an old computer mic (3 cond plug) and had input, worked fine. What is my solution? What about my scanner side. Is the 3 conductor plug going to work on that side if I bought a patch cable with that spec ( 3 conductor plug) ?

talkpair

The 3 wire plug into the 2 wire jack on the scanner should work.

The audio will be carried via the tip and sleeve of the plugs, and the ring is unused.

majoco

Stirrer
I take it that your "el cheapo" usb sound card stick doesn't have a 'line' input which is usually stereo. Perhaps the mono mic input doubles as the stereo line input in software?

frazpo

I take it that your "el cheapo" usb sound card stick doesn't have a 'line' input which is usually stereo. Perhaps the mono mic input doubles as the stereo line input in software?

Ya it does. Thats the problem. My tap on my scanner does not.

frazpo

My patience is withering away

Can you or someone explain the whole "mic in" and "Line in" difference with 3.5 plug pins? This new el cheapo usb soundcard uses the shield as the feed and the tip as ground. Does this mean it is defaulted to either mic in or line in? Which would it be if thats the case. I used one of these years ago on a unix setup and dont remember having the issue. Can the sound application switch it to whatever? I am using an old dell 610 and I only have one "in" port for sound. Guess I dont know if its considered line in or mic in? Does this make any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.