Channel Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

I am setting up a Radio Shack Pro-197 for my new live feed.
I will be broadcasting Cameron County Sheriff, Willacy Sheriff, Raymondville Pd and Dps.
Would the programming cable work hooked up to the scanner and the pc to add channel tages? Or am I out of luck on that option
Right now I have it broadcasting on scanner cast audio only but I would like to send tags or description of who is talking at the time.

I will be using a laptop running win xp, I have been using a desktop with vista.on my old analog feed.
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Not very many scanners as of yet do tags , I'm thinking just bcd396t bcd396xt and the 996 t and xt models, I'm not sure if the GRE models do it or not. I don't know if any radio shack models display tags at all.. I could be totally wrong

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Yes, if you're using ScannerCast then you should switch to the GRE PSR-500/600 setting. It will use the programming cable and pull the alpha tag information to put over the feed. Not very many scanner have alpha tag support, but luckily the Pro-197 is one of them.

KB0VWG

Cool

Yes, if you're using ScannerCast then you should switch to the GRE PSR-500/600 setting. It will use the programming cable and pull the alpha tag information to put over the feed. Not very many scanner have alpha tag support, but luckily the Pro-197 is one of them.

The computer I am using now for the feed i haven't installed win500 Do i need win500 in that computer or just hook up the programming cable?
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I'm fairly certain that you only need to have the programming cable. I believe that the software is able to pull the alpha tag information independently from other programming software.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Not very many scanners as of yet do tags , I'm thinking just bcd396t bcd396xt and the 996 t and xt models, I'm not sure if the GRE models do it or not. I don't know if any radio shack models display tags at all.. I could be totally wrong

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

If you don't know, why the reply?

I am setting up a Radio Shack Pro-197 for my new live feed.
I will be broadcasting Cameron County Sheriff, Willacy Sheriff, Raymondville Pd and Dps.
Would the programming cable work hooked up to the scanner and the pc to add channel tages? Or am I out of luck on that option
Right now I have it broadcasting on scanner cast audio only but I would like to send tags or description of who is talking at the time.

I will be using a laptop running win xp, I have been using a desktop with vista.on my old analog feed.
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

My free RadioFeed program supports text tags on the following scanners:

BCT8, BCT15, BCT15X, BC250D, BC296D, BC346XT, BC346XTC, BC780XLT, BC785D, BC796D, BC898T, BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD996T, BCD996XT, BR330T, HomePatrol, PRO-18, PRO-106, PRO-107, PRO-197, PRO-2052, PSR-310, PSR-410, PSR-500, and PSR-600.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Anybody have a program for Mac that supports the alpha tags? I'm running Nicecast to broadcast mine but when I set it up a few years back I couldn't find anything that supported tags on a Mac. All the programs that supported tags were for Windows. I'm hoping that has changed. Anything?

KB0VWG

No com port

When i try to start the feed I get this message.
I don't get an option to select a com port even when i open the drop down box.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 162

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
kb0vwg,
Do you have the drivers for the USB programming cable installed? If you look in the Windows Device Manager under Ports, do you see a COM port listed for the programming cable? If so, this is the COM port you set in whatever program you use.

I can verify that RadioFeed works excellent with a PRO-197 and provides alpha-tags flawlessly. I haven't used ScannerCast in a while but it should too, you just might have to select the scanner as a GRE PSR500 as others have said.

Kudos to ProScan for the excellent work on RadioFeed!
73!

KB0VWG

Yes

I have all the proper drives and use the cable for my Gre, Pro 106 and Pro 197 using win500. When i tried scanner cast in a laptop with win xp it gave me that option but I didn't like the hiss in the background noise so i switched back to this computer that my analog feed has been on for the past few years.

My new feed is up and working but just audio only.I want to use the alpha tags so more tinkering needs to be done.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Hello kb0vwg,
That sounds more like a problem with using a microphone input (with AGC on it) as the input for the scanner than anything to do with the streaming software. Nearly all modern laptops have only mic inputs (I have one that doesn't even have that) which have much higher gain than typically needed with a headphone out from the scanner. Also, Windows usually defaults to having AGC on which exacerbates the gain problem and would certainly cause a hiss when no audio is being transmitted.

I have used Mic In ports in a few cases by lowering the input volume as low as possible and turning off AGC but if I can get a line in, I much prefer that for better sounding audio. I usually like to use Griffin iMic USB sound cards which allow you to set the input as line or mic level and works well for audio feeds.

You will have to leave the programming cable connected to the scanner and PC at all times in order to transmit alpha-tags and laptop will need the same drivers as the PC for the cable to work for feeding alpha-tags.

Hope this helps and 73!
john

fredva

Feed Provider
As Alabamarailfan suggested, check under COM Ports in Device Manager on your Vista system. See if the scanner connection is missing, or if it exists but with an error symbol, indicating a possible problem with the driver. I wouldn't rely solely on the fact that you can program the scanner from the computer to tell you the status of the driver.

I have limited experience with Vista, but the Device Manager is probably accessible through Start and right-clicking on My Computer (or your PC name).

KB0VWG

Fredva
No yellow triangles or exclamation points. More than likely I believe john is right, i need to clone and replace the hard drive anyways so when I pull the pc out I will double check on where the input from the scanner is plugged into.
Will update soon.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Fredva
No yellow triangles or exclamation points. More than likely I believe john is right, i need to clone and replace the hard drive anyways so when I pull the pc out I will double check on where the input from the scanner is plugged into.
Will update soon.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

One other thing to check is that the other application doesn't have the port opened as only one application can open the port at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.