Stream formats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie387

I use Windows 7 gadgets to play music. I'd like to add a RadioReference live audio stream to my list of stations. But I cannot find how to do this. What I need is the URL feeds for mp3, m3u, asx and/or whatever. The players I use require (I think) a URL of the http:// ... format. And I can't find if RR has streams like these. Can someone help, please? Thanks.

I'd really like a RadioReference gadget, of course, but there doesn't seem to be one. A wanted enhancement, that I think would be welcome by the RR family. I did read a couple posts saying yes.

...Charlie

BadMango

Hi Charlie,

You can find playlist links for any feed by selecting your preferred format in the feed's Player Selection menu, then right-clicking on the speaker icon under Listen, then selecting Copy link address.

So, for example, my feed link would be http://www.radioreference.com/scripts/playlists/1/12345/618259-5412402288.asx for an asx playlist (Windows Media Player), or www.radioreference.com/scripts/playlists/1/12345/618259-5412402400.m3u for an m3u playlist (iTunes).

Just paste the link into your gadget, and add the http:// prefix if it's required.

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers!

Adam

Attachments

• feedpage.jpg
    feedpage.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Charlie387

Adam, thanks for the reply. However...

Your method did not work for me. Perhaps you have to be a premium member to do it this way?

I got the windows you showed, from the Live Audio portion of RR. But no matter the player I select, it get this back from capturing the link:

javascript:LaunchWindow('/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=381',%20'381','height=900,width=750,scrollbars=no')

and my player gadgets, miniradio and a couple others, cannot deal with this.

I also copied/pasted the .asx and .m3u stream addresses from your reply, and neither would play for me. Didn't expect them to, since they are clearly faked addresses.

Your reply examples both reference 'scripts' and 'playlists'. I'm using the live audio feed. Perhaps this is my problem/error?

More experimentation to come.

...Charlie

talkpair

If you have Windows Media Player, temporarily use it and open the desired stream.

Once the stream is playing, select "Properties" from the "File" menu, then copy the URL from the location given into the desired program.

Charlie387

Stream formats - problem solved

Thanks for the suggestions. With experimentation, I got an .asx stream running. I also tried used Winamp and iTunes formats and they also work.

Here's what worked for me.
- Go to the RadioReferenc Live Audio panel
- Select the desired player (WMP, e.g.)
- Click on the speaker icon
- The download or play window opens
- Save the item to the downloads folder
- Go to this folder
- Click on the .asx file, and then
- The proper program (WMP) opens and plays the RR stream of choice
- If desired, move the files to another spot on the hard drive
- Copy the location of the .asx file and paste it into the miniRadio (or other gadget player)
- Success! I'm now listening to an classical internet feed using one radio gadget and to an public service feed using a different radio gadget. And that's what I wanted to do.

Thanks!

...Charlie

BadMango

Glad you got it working!

I was just going to suggest saving the file locally, but I see you beat me to it.

I saved the .m3u file for one of my feeds on the desktop, then opened it with a text editor. Here's the 'actual' link in the .m3u file:

http://relay.radioreference.com:80/604067092

I'm guessing any player or gadget needs to reference the playlist file locally to get the above link.

In the interest of science, could you try pasting the above link into the gadget player and telling us if it works? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.