RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Live Audio Listener Support

Live Audio Listener Support This forum will act as a place for individuals who listen to feeds to provide comments or concerns about specific feeds. All feed providers should monitor this forum for feedback on their feeds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 3:23 PM

Default Capture?

Any suggestions/ideas on recording/capturing a feed for playback later? I'd like to listen to activity for the day (while I am at work) or from overnight [blame my PSR-800!].

Is there anyway to capture/record a feed? (bonus: eliminate the silence from the recording; the feed I want to listen to is very lightly used).

I have to believe this question has been asked but a search in the forum didn't show this question....or answer - at least, not that I could find.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hi troymail,

I see that you're a premium subscriber, which should give you access to the feed audio archives. Click the Feed Archives link on the feed details page, then pick a date and time from the menus, and download the appropriate MP3 file.

If you want to eliminate dead air, you can use a free audio editing program like Audacity.

To truncate dead air in Audacity, open the MP3 file in Audacity, then:

1. Highlight a snippet of dead air.

2. Play the selection, and use the VU meter to figure out how 'loud' the silence is (e.g. -40 dB).

3. Use Ctrl-A to select the entire clip.

4. Go to Effect - Truncate Silence.

5. Under Threshold for silence, select a dB level around 10 dB louder than what you measured. Remember, the closer to 0 dB, the louder it is (e.g. -30 dB is louder than -40 dB).

6. Press OK to apply the effect to the clip. If you set the threshold too high, you can undo the effect (Ctrl-Z) and apply it again, with a different threshold.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-29-2012, 3:29 PM

Thanks ! I had Audacity just didn't see the option to remove silence -- works great.