Capture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Any suggestions/ideas on recording/capturing a feed for playback later? I'd like to listen to activity for the day (while I am at work) or from overnight [blame my PSR-800!].

Is there anyway to capture/record a feed? (bonus: eliminate the silence from the recording; the feed I want to listen to is very lightly used).

I have to believe this question has been asked but a search in the forum didn't show this question....or answer - at least, not that I could find.

Thanks

BadMango

Hi troymail,

I see that you're a premium subscriber, which should give you access to the feed audio archives. Click the Feed Archives link on the feed details page, then pick a date and time from the menus, and download the appropriate MP3 file.

If you want to eliminate dead air, you can use a free audio editing program like Audacity.

To truncate dead air in Audacity, open the MP3 file in Audacity, then:

1. Highlight a snippet of dead air.

2. Play the selection, and use the VU meter to figure out how 'loud' the silence is (e.g. -40 dB).

3. Use Ctrl-A to select the entire clip.

4. Go to Effect - Truncate Silence.

5. Under Threshold for silence, select a dB level around 10 dB louder than what you measured. Remember, the closer to 0 dB, the louder it is (e.g. -30 dB is louder than -40 dB).

6. Press OK to apply the effect to the clip. If you set the threshold too high, you can undo the effect (Ctrl-Z) and apply it again, with a different threshold.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.