Where is the VLC drop-down option

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrassLiveOn

Premium Subscriber
I wish to have the absolutely superb VLC Player as my default feed listener.

First of all i was disappointed to see on feed links that it is not listed in the drop-down menu.

Then i went searching Broadcastify/Radio Reference and saw that it says you can choose the preferred player of your choice by going into your settings. Alas it isn't included in that drop-down menu either.

I went back searching the two sites and find that the VLC is clearly listed as being available

"Other Audio Devices and Applications To listen To Live Audio Feeds
Broadcastify Support posted this on March 07, 2013 13:48

Computer Based Applications
Available clients for Computers.
Computer Based Applications

Windows Media Player - included with most versions of Windows
WinAmp - Windows only
iTunes - Macintosh and Windows
VLC - Macintosh, Windows, and Linux
Rhythmbox - Linux"

Can anybody please tell me how i enable the VLC player as my default device for Broadcastify. Huge thanks in advance of a solution.

Incidentally i did attempt a search of the forum before posting but it says 'vlc' has to few letters. Not sure if it's a good idea for a site and forum that deals with many short abbreviations to have that bulletin board parameter option enabled?

Last edited:

lost_in_maine

I wish to have the absolutely superb VLC Player as my default feed listener.

I tried VLC as my default player before for feeds, but was not too happy with it, went back to Winamp
I no longer have it installed so can't look, but should just be a matter of going in and set VLC as the default player for .m3u

CrassLiveOn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply.

I've just gone to my RR configuration and the only players listed as available are

Windows Media Player
iTunes
Winamp
Web Player
Java Web Player

Absolutely no sign of VLC Player which does receive many plaudits and is recommended by many applications.

Cool that Winamp works so well for you and indeed it's whatever suits each of us or is our favourite. I personally prefer and really want to use VLC due to the very large amount of settings you can personalize and fine tune. Also i use it heavily for video which sways my choice.

I don't know how responsive/timely support works on this site but i'll fire off a request for them to add VLC to the various option menus.

jasonk

Feed Provider
Like he said - set VLC as Default Player for .M3U files on your computer - and then just make Winamp your default player for MP3 files and playlists. It will open VLC Every Time - Its not a support issue - there are 100's of media players and there are only a few formats .......

You can also right click the play button and copy link - then paste into your favorite media player ...VLC or whatever you choose.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.